Question about the 80-200 f/2.8 two ring version

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Michael Mohrmann, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Is the tripod collar on the 80-200 f/2.8 two ring version removable?

2. AF version, yes. AF-S version, I don't remember.

3. It would be the AF version I was inquiring about. Thanks for the information.

4. Hi Michael...

I have the 80-200 f/2.8D-ED AF and the tripod collar is NOT removable, not unless you use a hammer to remove it, and this proceedure is something I would not recommend...:biggrin:

5. AF-s Version is removeable aswell, I can vouch for that, (in fact the replacement foot I got for it is ridiculously better)

6. Uh oh, conflicting information. Local camera stores do not have this lens available to demo, so I don't know for sure. Doesn't matter, I have time to find out the answer.

7. I used to own the AF-D version. My experience conforms with Wally's (well , I never actually tried the hammer :smile:). The tripod foot is quite low and of course rotates with the collar, so I never found it to get in the way when shooting hand held or transporting the lens.

8. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    I like the collar on it. I rest the lens on palm of my hand for support.

9. I have this version, and the tripod collar is definitely not removable.

10. I think this is the information I was looking for in the event that the tripod collar was not removable. But I would really get a warm fuzzy from your response if you had tried using the hammer! :wink:

Thanks everyone for the information.

11. If I could track down the guy I sold it to, I'd be happy to try. :smile:

12. I own the 80-200 f/2.8 2 ring version Non AFS. The tripod collar is NOT removable.

13. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    Info about the 2 ring version: 2 ring

Info about the AF-S version: AF-S

From the pictures, the tripod collar is definitely integrated on the 2-Ring and you can see a hinge on the AF-S version which indicates that it is removable.

14. I have the current AF D 2 ring version. The tripod mount isn't removable, unless you're will to go to extreme lengths.

15. Bearmont

Bearmont

Feb 28, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Uncle...didn't you abandon the beast for that "other zoom"? Are you back to the beast or did you not update your sig?

16. There's no need to remove it really. It is small and dosen't really get in the way.:biggrin:

17. I bought my 28-70 in April 2005 and we are in a committed, monogamous relationship. The only time I've said otherwise was on April Fools Day.

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    But you were sooo convincing. :Crunk:

19. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I found not only did it not get in the way, it fit very nicely in the palm of my hand while me figers and thumb could adjust the zoom.