Question about the movie MEMENTO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Czechman01, Jul 22, 2008.

1. I just saw this a couple days ago and enjoyed it immensely, but I have a question.

At the very end you see him and his wife together in bed and on his chest he has tattooed "I DID IT" which means he killed the guy. If he killed the guy and had it tattooed on his chest to remind him, why did he continue to search? Furthermore, what happened to that tattoo?

Either I missed something pretty significant (I watched it twice) or this is a fatal flaw in an otherwise brilliant plot.

2. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    PM sent to avoid spoilers

3. Loved that movie, but I don't recall that. Now I have to go and watch it again.

4. There is the possibility that this is him fantasizing.

5. That's good. That would seem to make sense... she survived and he got his vengeance (in his mind)... that's the only plausible explanation for the tattoo to be there at that time but not in the present... he imagined it.

Wow... It must be incredible to have a mind that can put together such a complex plot and sew it so tightly.

Great movie!

Do you think Sammy was actually Lenny?

Probably, but he swears his wife wasn't diabetic... hmmmm.

6. Woody, with the intriguing possibilities here I think I'm going to rent it again tonight since it's been a while. Thanks for bringing this all up ... memento mori ... Memento mori is a Latin phrase that may be translated as "Remember that you are mortal," "Remember you will die," "Remember that you must die," or "Remember your death".

7. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    uh oh... I got to add this movie to my Netflix.

8. Linda, "Memento" was directed by Christopher Nolan. His latest film is the new Batman movie "The Dark Knight". Enjoy! But be prepared to watch the film at least twice! :biggrin:

9. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Cool! okidooki...we just finished off the first season of Heroes and need something interesting to look at.

10. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Just like the unicorn scene in blade runner (in some versions it was removed, completely changing the plot of the movie), the 'tattoo scene' in Memento is one of those subtle scenes that completely change the story of the movie.

Entire diatribes have resulted from this scene. Is it all imagination? Did Lenny kill his wife? But he would have remembered the diabetes as that was before her death (real of perceived?).

Of course we saw the movie through Lennies eyes. Did we not see the tattoo? Or did we not remember it? Memory is unreliable and can be manipulated - that's one message that everybody agrees on about this movie!

Chris Nolan said that there's one single truth that explains everything. But he refuses to clarify himself about it.

11. Now I don't feel so weird... :biggrin:

12. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I have even heard some suggest that the tattoo scene was an accident, although I highly doubt it

if you are watching this movie for the first time, be prepared to see it a minimum of 3-4 times

Ive seen it at least a dozen myself, I love this movie

13. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    missing

I might be missing something, but I thought that the writing on his body was just that (ball point pen) rather than tattoo?

Was I mistaken?