Question about using flash

Is there a way to get my SB600 to recycle quicker when using my D200 set for CH? Is there any way to get the flash to fire when taking 3-4 quick shots? Everytime I do this with the flash, the flash only fires for the first shot taken. Is this how it HAS to be?

Is there a way to get my SB600 to recycle quicker when using my D200 set for CH? Is there any way to get the flash to fire when taking 3-4 quick shots? Everytime I do this with the flash, the flash only fires for the first shot taken. Is this how it HAS to be?

The problem occurs when the flash is firing at high power that depletes its charge in the first few shots. The strobe doesn't have any time to recharge during a burst. Try setting the flash in manual at 1/8 power. Then you should be able to fire a burst of 5 to 6 flash shots without much of a dropoff. I just tried it, and got 7 good shots in continuous high mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternatively, you can attach a Quantum (or similar) external battery pack. But beware - you can fry the flash if you are not careful. They are not designed for rapid fire at full power.

You can also increase ISO to reduce the flash output and increase recycle time.

Doing that will get 3-4 shots quickly with flash?

this is more or less how it works. Your flash builds up a charge in the........can't think of the term (temporary brain cloud!) anyway, when you turn flash on you can here the thing wind up building a charge. It stores a set amount of energy to be used as output. Once this cache is depleted, it recharges. The more power you use in each fire the faster the energy gets depleted.

By increasing the ISO (or opening the aperture) you can decrease the power emitted from your flash. Each stop increase in ISO or aperture, you need half the flash power to get the same exposure. So, by increasing ISO or opening the aperture, you can decrease the power setting on the flash thus reserving some of that stored energy for multiple bursts

Latest threads

Top Bottom