Question about using old lenses with a D850

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The D850 manual explains on page 212 that an AF-S or AF-P lens must be used to do focus shifting. That means I would also need to replace my macro lens and my 35mm lens, as those are the two lenses I would almost always use with focus shifting.
Remember that the 35mm on DX is actually comparable to a 50mm on FF....... similarly, a 60mm on DX is comparable to a 90mm on FF.......

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Your work shows a LOT of attention to detail.....and expectations of producing very high quality images. You set the bar high and then achieve it! I don't think you do your work "justice" by not taking advance of the exquisite sensor and features of the D850. JMHO.......

Your work shows a LOT of attention to detail.....and expectations of producing very high quality images. You set the bar high and then achieve it! I don't think you do your work "justice" by not taking advance of the exquisite sensor and features of the D850. JMHO.......

I'll take that compliment! Consider posting it every day. :ROFLMAO:

The D850 manual explains on page 212 that an AF-S or AF-P lens must be used to do focus shifting. That means I would also need to replace my macro lens and my 35mm lens, as those are the two lenses I would almost always use with focus shifting.

This revelation, thanks to Dave, makes the move to a D850 more questionable.

Mike,

I would also point out that, having done the focus stack, there is often a LOT of post processing work in your chosen stacking software be it Photoshop or another.

Another thought for those following the thread:

having done the focus stack, there is often a LOT of post processing work in your chosen stacking software be it Photoshop or another.

Some cameras, none made by Nikon, provide the option of letting the camera combine all of the captures into one image. Some of them are even designed to use focus stacking while shooting handheld.

P.S. I can thoroughly recommend the Z6 / FTZ / 60mm f2.8 G combination. It is, perhaps, a more cost effective 24MP package. All of my lenses are now G lenses and compatible with both D750 and Z6. I really should try an S lens to see if they are that much better than my G lenses but they prices are prohibitive at this time (for me).

Another thought for those following the thread:

Some cameras, none made by Nikon, provide the option of letting the camera combine all of the captures into one image. Some of them are even designed to use focus stacking while shooting handheld.

To me that is not a viable alternative. The camera would have to be VERY clever to be better than dedicated software and, I am assuming, only gives you a JPEG output?

Yes, I am aware of your requirement for the vertical grip. It is possible that the d750 replacement soon to be announced will have focus stacking.

The camera would have to be VERY clever to be better than dedicated software and, I am assuming, only gives you a JPEG output?

Every camera I've read about that provides the option of letting the camera combine all of the captures also provides the option of not letting the camera do that. You're probably right about the JPEG output but I don't remember the details, as it has been awhile since I read about them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom