Question about using paypal for camera stuff

I've been using paypal and am near to the limit for an "unverified" account. Paypal is bugging me saying I only have a few dollars left on my sending limit.

I'm naturally leery about giving anoyone my bank information but apparently I won't be able to pay for anything once I reach the limit. I don't understand since I'm using a credit card. Would anyone explain what's going on?

Thanks, Rich

Paul,

Thanks! I just needed a little encouragement. It's not that I don't trust Paypal (otherwise, why would I use it?). I am, as any reasonable person, a bit nervouse about giving out bank information.

Rich

Rich,

I'm not sure if this is THE situation but there is A LOT of emails going around from PayPal or Ebay asking you to "update" your account information or asking for your for bank information etc etc. There is usually a direct URL link in the email which takes you to your "account" overview. This is of course the biggest and latest scam out there. Ebay or PayPayl will NEVER ask you for your personal information through email.

Good luck !

Jay Luto said:
Rich,

I'm not sure if this is THE situation but there is A LOT of emails going around from PayPal or Ebay asking you to "update" your account information or asking for your for bank information etc etc. There is usually a direct URL link in the email which takes you to your "account" overview. This is of course the biggest and latest scam out there. Ebay or PayPayl will NEVER ask you for your personal information through email.

Good luck !

I get those requests all the time and just forward them to the Ebay/PayPal fraud unit. Not a big deal. If they are asking for personal information like that you know right away it is a scam.

Rich I have been a verified member for a long time and have never had problem one from them.

Jay Luto said:
Rich,

Good luck !

Thanks for your concern, but this is not one of "those" messages. It was in response to a purchase I made with paypal. They notified me while I was logged on and followed it up with an email.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I was in your exact same thinking situation about PayPal a few months ago. I just couldn't stand the thought of giving out my bank numbers to my checking account ...

After I understood it a bit better I went ahead and did it ...they put a few cents into my checking and I had to verify that...they didn't make a phone call to me though......... after I verified the amount they put in I was then verified and could go ahead and buy more lenses :)

My question is now to Paul.. He said that we have the choice of paying through our bank account or through our credit card when verified. I'd rather pay through the credit card but I'm under the impression that the credit card just backs up the bank account and now wonder how I pick that I want to pay by the credit card and not the bank account. Maybe there's an option there that I've not seen.......I will check it next time I use PayPal.

Good luck and have fun buying with PayPal. Are you going to get your new D2X with it :) Hope so :)

Gaye

What Paul and Gordon state is perfectly correct.

If you are an UNVERIFIED user then you are certainly stymed as to the amount you can buy. Being verified really is the best way of purchasing frequently.

HOWEVER I AM NOT HAPPY that you were notified by Paypal while you were in the middle of a purchase. This DOES NOT SEEM CORRECT. What you normally get from Paypal is PAYMENT PENDING. This remains against the purchase until the monthly amount is updated by Paypal or you become verified.

Go through the Verification proceedure as laid down by Paypal, and IGNORE THAT E-MAIL.

BW. Bob F.

Bob the Spiderman said:
What Paul and Gordon state is perfectly correct.

If you are an UNVERIFIED user then you are certainly stymed as to the amount you can buy. Being verified really is the best way of purchasing frequently.

HOWEVER I AM NOT HAPPY that you were notified by Paypal while you were in the middle of a purchase. This DOES NOT SEEM CORRECT. What you normally get from Paypal is PAYMENT PENDING. This remains against the purchase until the monthly amount is updated by Paypal or you become verified.

Go through the Verification proceedure as laid down by Paypal, and IGNORE THAT E-MAIL.

BW. Bob F.

It wasn't in the middle of the transaction. It was after, and while I was logged onto Paypal. They basically said I could only transfer $2.50 funds or credit card more until I verified I had a bank account.

I got an email from them confirming this but I logged onto Paypal through Firefox, not through the email.

I set up my Paypal to a separate savings account at my bank. I only leave $5 or so in that account. When I want to buy an item and use Paypal I do an electronic xfer from one account in to my Paypal setup savings account, and buy the item.

This way if someone ever did get my Paypal info, all I have in the account they can get at is $5 and not run up a credit card before I find out.

Just what I do. But since living in the United Kingdom the last 4 years we buy everything on-line. We use Paypal and every other way to buy stuff and have had zero trouble.

F15Todd said:
I set up my Paypal to a separate savings account at my bank. I only leave $5 or so in that account. When I want to buy an item and use Paypal I do an electronic xfer from one account in to my Paypal setup savings account, and buy the item.

This way if someone ever did get my Paypal info, all I have in the account they can get at is $5 and not run up a credit card before I find out.

Just what I do. But since living in the United Kingdom the last 4 years we buy everything on-line. We use Paypal and every other way to buy stuff and have had zero trouble.

Rich,

I did the same thing. PayPal is nice and convenient, but I certainly don't trust them or anyone else with my primary bank account info.

Frank

Paypal is a convenient way of selling your equipment because it is so widley used but if you sell to someone who pays by credit card you must upgrade to a premier level of service. This does not have a seperate fee but after you upgrade they charge you 2.9% for all money recieved regardless of the source ie credit card, cash or transfer. So if you sell a lens for $1000, Paypal gets $29. I just had transactions for $2500 or so and it cost me over $70. On the up side I don't think there is any limit to the amount you can pay or recieve. It hurts a bit but you will then have a very convenient way of buying and selling your lenses etc.

gho

There is no way in *ell that I'm giving out my senstive bank information to anyone much less an online payment system.

Doing that gives them uninhibited access into your account. Horror stories of payments being cancelled due to "fraud" and money withdrawn from the account is just one small small thing.

Opening up a seperate account just for paypal is the same thing as giving them access to your primary account - its still linked to you and you are responsible for it or anything that happens to it.

I use paypal for only very small purchases (unverified) usually on the order of a few dollars or so. I generally boycott paypal and if there's something that I can get from another source, abeit a bit more but without having to use paypal, I pay the higher price.

For the same reason, I don't ebay.

If I ever hit my limit, and they still require verification, I'll just stop using paypal entirely.

Think about it this way: My credit card company trusts me enough to loan me $50,000 USD without linking into my bank account. What makes paypal so special that I need to link into my bank account just so I can use my credit card?!?

gho said:
Think about it this way: My credit card company trusts me enough to loan me $50,000 USD without linking into my bank account. What makes paypal so special that I need to link into my bank account just so I can use my credit card?!?

Gregory,

For the exact reason that you describe. I well remember what happened to Greg Gebhart last year, when he took a payment via PP, waited 3 days after PP confirmed that they had received a legitimate payment, then shipped a $1,500 cam to a buyer.

Several days later PP ripped the $$ back out of his account, saying that 'oops, we were mistaken about the guy being legit, so you're going to pay for it'.

Not me.

Frank

gho

Yeah, that's just one thing that comes to mind. I've been strongly against the idea loooong before that ever happend to poor Greg.

IMHO, there is just something fundamentally unmoral about giving access to my bank account to some coorporation.

Latest threads

Top Bottom