Question about video cards

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Apr 28, 2005.

1. I'm currently using an ATI Radeon 9800 128 in my main image processing PC. I noticed RR mentioned the Matrox p750 was a great 2-d image manipulation card. I'm using 2 19" LCD monitors.

Is there anything to be gained by getting the Matrox p750 or should I keep the bucks for the D2X I plan to get.........in October, of course!

Rich

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The card you are using is rated very good, I'd save the money.

3. Depends on what software you use. PS uses the Graphics processor, Nikon Capture doesnt ( I have tested it!), still I would say that ther ei snot that much to gain if you switch to a faster card, there are other bottle necks worth pursuing...

andreas

4. I had a ATI Radeon 9800 and switched to the Matrox Parhelia. The Parhelia is a superior card for graphics rendering, the images are more crisp and the colors are more accurate. You absolutely can see a difference. That being said, the Matrox card is not quite as fast as the Radeon but if you're not a gamer, you'll never notice the difference.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/home.cfm

Finally, the other reason for making the switch is because I run dual monitors. The ATI card has only one digital output, the other is analog. The Parhelia card is dual digital output for the dual monitors.

A lot of has been written recently about computer upgrades, etc. What hasn't been said is anything about dual monitors. Dual monitors is the best thing I've ever done to my computer system in order to work more efficiently. It is like making your desk twice as large. It enables you to have the necessary space to have multiple programs visible without the constant maximizing and minimizing. Once you go dual, you'll never go back and you'll wonder what you did without them for so long.

For example, here's a screen shot of how capture looks on dual monitors. It is a much easier program to use when the tool pallets are positioned on the second monitor.

[​IMG]

In normal everyday work mode, I run whatever program I need on the left monitor (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) and have Outlook running on the right monitor. So, when email pops up, I can just read without having to click and switch programs.

5. No need to coax me on two monitors, as I use two LCDs. Is there a visual or performance difference between analog and digital LCD monitors? I wasn't aware there was. You're correct, the 9800 has only one digital output. I don't mean to dispute what you're saying, but if I put the digital output on the image presentation monitor and the analog on the command monitor, wouldn't I get the same presentation as you do? The screen with the command templates doesn't need the super-resolution. Anyway, I'm gathering information, not arguing. Thanks for taking theime to prepare the screen shots.

Rich

6. Rich, go with digital LCDs and, as far as video cards are concerned, be aware that you need two separate video cards if you plan to calibrate both monitors. I bought the Radeon 9600 SE in December. It has an analog and digital monitor output and that certainly does the trick if you want to run two monitors off one system. It was only later, after I got into the color management side of things that I learned that if I was going to calibrate both that I would need two video cards.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    IMHO ATI is better for pre-press, Matrox - for preparing images for web.

To use 2 monitors -

Mode 1: editing monitor is calibrated and profiled, palette/browsing monitor is not calibrated, nor profiled - any video card with 2 outputs;

Mode 2: editing monitor is calibrated/profiled, palette/browsing monitor is calibrated - videocard with 2 videoLUTs;

Mode 3: both monitors are calibrated/profiled - nearly impossible on a PC, except for the case that calibration brings them to such a similarity that one profile suits both.

Analog vs. digital: usually ramdacs on high-end videocards are much better then those found in sub-$1500 monitors. High-quality video cables are essential.