Question about young people and cursive writing

Time changes. I retired from elementary school teaching In 2007. We taught so much more than when I started in 1969 that some things had to be left off. One can make an analogy to learning the multiplication tables. We spent a lot of time reaching that in 1969. Now there is no need for students to master the tables.

Real Name
Andrew
Only until they get a holiday card, birthday card or "thank you" note written in cursive.

I'm sure if it doesn't exist, some one will create a real time cursive to printed text app. A lot of the new e-ink tablets that allow you to take notes have them. I remember my old PDA used to translate cursive to text as well.

Then they'll just whip out the old iphone/android and translate away.

Considering the wide variety of cursive styles and various levels of illegibility, that software will surely be using artificial intelligence.
For years I used a Fujitsu Tablet PC, with a stylus to take all my notes. It could rather reliably convert my scrawl into text. It was much better than any of the voice recognition systems have ever been able to achieve. I speak rather well, but my handwriting is atrocious—my dad was a doctor, and my writing made his look like prize winning penmanship!

Handwriting OCR apps are already here. Apples Pen to Print has been around a while designed specifically to recognise handwriting from scanned text. Google also has handwriting recognition/conversion apps

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
My first job out of college was with a bank. For those who did not know how to write their names but needed a signature card to open an account we showed them how to write an 'X'. We then put their thumbprint on the card next to the 'X'. And yes, when the customer came to the bank to make a withdrawal, they had to put the 'X', and imprint their thumbprint on the withdrawal slip so that we could compare it to the signature card.

Nowadays, and in this age of technology, electronic signatures have become more common.

Real Name
Ken
My first job out of college was with a bank. For those who did not know how to write their names but needed a signature card to open an account we showed them how to write an 'X'. We then put their thumbprint on the card next to the 'X'. And yes, when the customer came to the bank to make a withdrawal, they had to put the 'X', and imprint their thumbprint on the withdrawal slip so that we could compare it to the signature card.

Nowadays, and in this age of technology, electronic signatures have become more common.
I worked in a bank during high school and college. Ironically, I think my signature became ineligible due to all of the forms that I signed and documents that I initialed. But I do have to say that I learned a lot from interacting with the public all day long every day.

--Ken

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I worked in a bank during high school and college. Ironically, I think my signature became ineligible due to all of the forms that I signed and documents that I initialed. But I do have to say that I learned a lot from interacting with the public all day long every day.

--Ken
Absolutely and the same thing happened to me. I had signatory authorization for up to $50,000, and it got to a point where I was signing and initialing a bunch of forms and doc's, just like you. Well, it got to a point where my signature changed from the time I first started working at the bank. One day, a gentleman came in and got a cashier's check for $25,000. I signed the check. He then deposited the check at another financial institution and when it came back thru our bank for clearance, that particular department almost bounced the check because they thought my signature had been forged. Fortunately, they called me and thankfully I remembered the transaction. Had to change all my signature cards as a result, and from that point on, my handwriting has gradually gotten downright awful...

--Ken

Yup, same with others. The MORE you have to sign, the simpler the signature becomes.
I have two signatures; a formal sig when I have time to write it out, and a short fast sig.

FAST note taking in college killed my handwriting.
I really wished my mother forced me to take shorthand, like she forced me to take typing.​
It wasn't till a few years ago when I got fed up with my BAD handwriting that I decided to "fix" it. I spent a LOT of time, and I gradually cleaned up my handwriting, to where I am happy with it.

Real Name
Ken
I have two signatures; a formal sig when I have time to write it out, and a short fast sig.
Funny, I kind of have the opposite. The full signature is not really readable and is used for checks or contracts. The short signature is readable, and I use it to sign formal letters at work and for personal cards that I write to people.

--Ken

FAST note taking in college killed my handwriting.

That happened to me in junior high school when the public school system introduced the concept of piling everyone into the auditorium with about six televisions spread throughout so everyone could easily see one. The teacher was on television so no questions were being asked of or by him. That led to a lot more information being given and for no breaks in taking notes, which in turn led to ruining the quality of my handwriting.

Doctors have been writing prescriptions in a non-readable language for decades......;)
You don't have to be a physician to have bad handwriting, believe me. I am a retired Clinical Microbiologist and going through a major (and MS program) like that you really do not take notes, you have to take dictation. Not that most students nowadays take notes, all of their lectures are in PowerPoint and they can just download them. Pretty lame if you ask me. The three legs of the learning triangle are hear it, see it, write it. Cursive does allow you to write a lot quicker than printing for most people, though admittedly I can print pretty quickly and my printing is pretty bad too. When I was going through school people used to occasionally ask me if they could borrow my notes because they missed a lecture. They would tell me "I can't read this!" to which I usually replied "I didn't take them for you. Maybe if you showed up for class more often you would not have to keep borrowing other people's notes!"

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
1618065747697.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I don't understand the issue. It's nothing new. Obvious to me that they've never taught/required cursive writing in medical school :D

Physicians are not the only people with bad handwriting. But the nearly universal adoption of the EMR has changed a lot. Now physicians dictate their patient notes and they are transcribed by people whose only job is to enter physician's notes into the patient's EMR.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom