Question about young people and cursive writing

Food for thought.
It was the ADULTS whom decided that cursive should not be taught - not the "young generation"......

I think it goes back to the "standard tests," and school funding based on the results of those tests.
The schools don't get credit for the stuff that can't be tested, usually english and math.
So everything that won't give the schools credit/money was/is on the chopping block.

Last edited:
I think it goes back to the "standard tests," and school funding based on the results of those tests.
The schools don't get credit for the stuff that can't be tested, usually english and math.
So everything that won't give the schools credit/money is on the chopping block.
That could be true for the US but would not apply to the UK, France and other countries.

When I have to WRITE fast, I type it. Cuz I can type way faster than I can write, and still be able to read my writing.
But when I want to relax, I rather write in cursive.

Sometimes I will type it on the computer, because I know that I will have to edit it.
Editing is MUCH easier on the computer.

But the keyboard has it's limitations.
I can't carry it with me, and I HATE typing on dinky keyboards like on a tablet or worse on a phone.
When people send me an email on the phone, I only do a SHORT reply. A LONG reply has to wait for me to get home and onto a full keyboard.
So the reliable fall back is still handwritten notes, printed or cursive.

Although I don't always carry a pad and pencil, whereas I probably have my phone.
So I will take minimal notes with the phone.

Food for thought.
It was the ADULTS whom decided that cursive should not be taught - not the "young generation"......

Not necessarily. As soon as I was taught cursive in grade school, I thought it absolutely silly to learn one method of writing, then immediately abandon it for something else. I played along, learned the stupid cursive crap, then reverting back to printing.

Not necessarily. As soon as I was taught cursive in grade school, I thought it absolutely silly to learn one method of writing, then immediately abandon it for something else. I played along, learned the stupid cursive crap, then reverting back to printing.

Kinda similar in my case, but I had a few things that pushed printing for me.

I took drafting in high school, and we PRINTED EVERYTHING.
That reinforced printing for me.

In accounting in college and after, what we wrote HAD TO BE LEGIBLE by everybody.
So printing was the standard for us. Because most of us had LOUSEY cursive.

I had a valuable lesson pounded into me. If the grader for our professional license could not read our exam answer, even if I had the correct answer, I would get a ZERO. So I learned another reason why legibility was important.

I flipped this one around and used it when I was a grader in college.
If I could not read the student's answer, in a reasonable amount of time, I gave the student a ZERO for that question.
With a STACK of exams to grade, I could not spend a LONG time trying to decypher their bad handwriting.
Because I had to study for my own classes.

What did you abandon it for?
I find it very useful for note taking....

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I think cursive writing shows much more of the character of the writer.
Why should we all get more standarized?

Sure, to fill some documents, I use printed letters too.

Kind regards
Klaus

Seems like you went to a terrible education system then (or at least Mrs. Peacock needed a stern talking to).....My teachers NEVER dictated how we should write.

The vast majority of kids, both then and now, didn't/don't have much of a choice, now did/do we?

What about those families with old journals that are in an attic, somewhere? Someday, a grandchild will want to learn more about this ancestor but don’t be able to read the cursive writing in the journal. Sad.

What about those families with old journals that are in an attic, somewhere? Someday, a grandchild will want to learn more about this ancestor but don’t be able to read the cursive writing in the journal. Sad.

I have an original land deed, dated 1802, I've been told it's one of my ancestors deeding a part of his farm in Vermont to his daughter for a dowry. I can't confirm that because no one can read it.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
I and my classmates were tested on both printing and cursive. Once we were done with the testing, we were allowed to use either system at our choice.
Similar situation. Once we were deemed "worthy" of being able to both print and write proficiently, we could do whichever we wanted.

And then I even got to write in ALL BLOCK LETTERS if I wanted to. Lol!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom