Question about your results using AF button to focus w D2X

Okay,

I've been seeing this symptom which I didn't have with my D2H. In lower light situations, often at events, using flash - I'll hit the AE button to focus and no go... I'm focusing on a person, sometimes there may be less than ideal contrast.. With the D2H I just never had a problem getting the shot instantly. Yet, I'm finding the X sometimes doesn't focus and I miss the shot.

I'm shooting Single AF, Matrix, manual (center) focus point, AF is set for 'focus' with my 17-55, focus with AE only (not the shutter release button).

Now, while experimenting today I found a low contrast scene in the darker basement and re-created the no focus situation. I found that by holding the AE button in while I took the shot (and not just pressing till focused, then letting go, which I normally do) I got the shot.

Here's my 2 questions:

Do any of you find this symptom of not achieving focus with your D2X?

Do any of you routinely hold the AE button in while shooting? (I always thought it was intended to get and keep the focus, even when you let go of the button).

I hope this is clear enough to make sense.

Tom

N

nfoto

Are we talking about the "AF-ON" button(s), or "AE-L/AF-L" ? The latter doesn't activate focus at all, unless you program it to "AF-ON", in which case it behaves like you describe - not very convenient. Use this button for AE (lock) instead.

Ensure the setting f6 in Custom Settings is set to the default, not the alternative (meaning you have to hold the button pressed to keep the function active), and learn to put the AF-ON buttons to their intended, good use.

nfoto said:
Are we talking about the "AF-ON" button(s), or "AE-L/AF-L" ? The latter doesn't activate focus at all, unless you program it to "AF-ON", in which case it behaves like you describe - not very convenient. Use this button for AE (lock) instead.

I meant the AF-On button. (That's what I get for posting this at work, where I don't have the camera).

Ensure the setting f6 in Custom Settings is set to the default, not the alternative (meaning you have to hold the button pressed to keep the function active), and learn to put the AF-ON buttons to their intended, good use.

I have always read the f6 function to pertain to whether you have to keep the button pressed while turning the control wheel(s) to make an adjustment, rather than the general function you're describing. I'll check the camera when I get home and see if it makes a different. I am quite sure it's at default, but you never know.

Tom

nfoto said:

Thanks for pointing out my incorrect terminology. I meant the AF-On button and edited the original post. And thanks for your suggestions, Bjorn.

Tom

Tweber

Last evening with a 28-70 LENS, I attempted focus on a wall cloud coming at us from a severe thunderstorm. A very low contrast situation and the same thing happened...didn't even hunt, it simply wouldn't focus or fire. I switched it to manual and fired away with no problem.

I think that it was simply not enough contrast for the camera?

Re: Tweber

jfenton said:
Last evening with a 28-70 LENS, I attempted focus on a wall cloud coming at us from a severe thunderstorm. A very low contrast situation and the same thing happened...didn't even hunt, it simply wouldn't focus or fire. I switched it to manual and fired away with no problem.

I think that it was simply not enough contrast for the camera?

Jim,

I need to keep working with this to see if it's a real problem. I think it may just be a low / no contrast thing or differences between the D2H and D2X. I'm going to keep in mind the technique of just holding the AF-On button until I get the shot, too.

Thanks for responding.

Tom

Latest threads

Top Bottom