Question: D2X sensor cleaning

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Luckynp, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. I have a big dust spot on the sensor of my new D2X. On the D70 I used a Rocket blower many times using a fully charged battery. The D2X manual and Thom Hogan both say it is essential to use an AC adapter when cleaning. Is this true or can I use a fully charged battery? I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on something I'll rarely use unless I really need it.
     
  2. I would guess you can use a bulb exposure to open the shutter without the AC adapter.

    There could be an issue going that route with the sensor being on. Dust might cling to it more. I have no idea if there is a static charge when the sensor is doing its thing.

    I wouldn't do the sensor wipe thing that way, but I guess I would blast it with the rocket.

    I find the AC adapter handy for other things, but I can see why you might not want to spend the money on it.
     
  3. Wilk

    Wilk

    246
    Jul 28, 2005
    I've cleaned my sensor many times with the visible dust brushes (they always do a great job, btw). I always use a well charged battery - I don't obsess on it being fully charged, just over 15% or so. I have great confidence in the battery and power system on the cam... it's amazingly predictable.

    I heard a near disaster on the "other" forum using the ac adapter. Dude had just pulled the brush clear of the shutter blades, and he lost power in his house - that is something to think about long and hard. Let's face it, the battery is far closer to a guarentee of power than an ac adapter is. I rather get the feeling Nikon is just trying to sell you something you don't really need, beyond that, if you do roach the shutter blades they'll charge you for a shutter replacement (and hot mirror filter if that's damaged) no matter what power source you use.
     
  4. Thanks guys. I've just used Bulb and managed to blow the dust off quite easily. I think it was a hair rather than dust.

    I agree about the adapter - with my natural clumsiness I'm quite likely to pull the connector out. I feel much safer with the battery. And I've saved UK £79 ($145).
     
  5. the adaptor is a good piece of equipment and MUST be used to achieve mirror lock up.
    minor dust and debris can be blown out with a rocket blower thru the gap at the bottom of the mirror.
     
  6. Knock on wood, I have not had to clean my sensor yet.
    It always gives me the shakes when I have had to clean
    my sensors in the past.

    I would think that with the camera on bulb, that the sensor
    would be more likely to collect dust, as it is charged at that
    point. :confused:

    Cheers,
    Robin
     
  7. No.

    1. Bulb scares me. If my finger slips off the button...bam. Actually... I scare me most often.

    2. 20-30 seconds is a long time. More than enough to blow off your sensor. More than enough to swab with methanol. Use manual 25 seconds with a charged batters. Easy.

    3. If you screw up and your shutter closes on something like a pec-pad I suspect it'll cost you a thousand bucks. No, more than that.

    4. I've never ever seen anything that gives credence to the "static" allegation about cleaning a "charged" sensor. I think that is nonsense but I really do not know. I admit half of what I know is eventually going to by discarded my myself as faulty so be very hesitant to believe anything I, or anyone, says.

    here is a link to my experience.

    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=49559&highlight=easy
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Yeah, but the shutter leaves are covering the sensor if the mirror's down.
    Bunnies sequestered and hidden in a metal hutch?
     
  9. Wilk

    Wilk

    246
    Jul 28, 2005
    I use the MC-30 cable release in bulb mode - I would sooner jump in front of a car than trust my finger on the shutter button. The MC-30 has a "lock" position that is very safe - the only caution is don't let the business end of it fall and hit a hard surface after you let go - there is a small chance that it could become unlocked if it hits hard enough at the right place. I would also never go in on a 30 second shutter... I want to make sure I have the time to wipe the sensor propper while not watching an egg timer - but that's just me. Everyone has "their" way, and that's what makes the world go round. Thing is, threads like this do make some people consider other methods if there is an easier/safer way.

    BTW... I LOVE my visible dust brushes... the have worked flawlessly for me every time.
     
  10. Wilk

    Wilk

    246
    Jul 28, 2005
    That could very well be true, but my understanding is, the cmos sensor does not create anywhere near the charge that ccd does. Secondly, with the visible dust brushes, you create a charge in the brush with canned air before swabing the sensor - that charge is much stronger than any given off by the cmos - at least based on the results of a pristine sensor after every clean - it even pulls dust and dirt in the compartment that isn't on the sensor out. My first sensor cleaning, I pulled out a lot of black crud that was left by the factory... I was actually quite surpised that the area was that dirty. That's the only time so far I have been forced to clean the brush with alcohol - have done it many times since, but have never seen evidence of dirt on the brush - just a good idea to keep it clean.

    Now..."my understanding" came from the "other" forum, so it may be a tad less than accurate and/or scientific :biggrin:

    Steve
     
  11. freddyrozen

    freddyrozen Guest

    gap at the bottom?

    Sorry to disagree, but blowing through the gap at the bottom of the mirror does nothing for debris on the AA filter, as the shutter curtain is closed at that time. The only way to blow/clean the sensor (aa filter) is to lift the mirror and open up the shutter curtain, and that can only be achieved by either taking a long exposure shot without the lens or mirror lock-up function with the AC adapter.

    happy shooting, Freddy
     
  12. Chris101

    Chris101

    Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    An active CCD or CMOS image sensor DOES NOT hold a static charge and WILL NOT attract or hold dust to it's surface.
     
  13. 1. Chris, I agree with you.
    2. I don't know how to prove we're right.
    3. The whole static charge thing seems silly. Were it true, all the dust would leap to your sensor with every shot anyway. Cleaning would make it no worse.

    4. My main pontification point: In science, as in all life, it is very hard to prove NON-existence of anything. A statistician would quote some null-hypothesis reference to impress us with his acumen. If I ask you to prove that Casper the Ghost doesn't exist you would be hard pressed to do so.
    I'm rambling, but if intrigues me how much this principle comes up in the media, in politics, in religion...mush less on this board.
    If static IS a problem we could perhaps demonstrate that phenomenon. No static effect...harder to prove.
    .
    .
    BTW...howdja' get the "social moderate"-thingy under your moniker???
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2005
Loading...
Similar Threads Forum Date
Nikon D2X For Sale Question? Nikon DX DSLR May 13, 2010
Exposure comp. question (D2X) Nikon DX DSLR Dec 28, 2009
D2x picture controls question Nikon DX DSLR Oct 13, 2009
D2X Multiple Exposure Question Nikon DX DSLR Apr 27, 2009
D2X Question... Nikon DX DSLR Oct 31, 2008