Question For All The Micro Four Thirds Shooters Here...

If there was an EM5 and a GH3 in front of me for free I don't think it would be an easy choice.

Now an EP5 and VF4? No contest.

in a nutshell....yepp.
i think a better question to ask would be why buy a gh3 over a d7100.
I'd much rather have the D7100 but I think I like the m43 primes more.

in a nutshell....yepp.
i think a better question to ask would be why buy a gh3 over a d7100.
They would buy it for it's video capabilities, the D7100 can't compete in that regard, even the new G6 is leaps ahead of a D7100 for video. I don't use a camera that way so I wouldn't pick the GH3 over a D7100 myself.

Dave - The G6 cannot do Raw 4:2:2 video out of HDMI. The quality of the D7100 video captured in this mode is better than anything the G6 can produce. No HDMI raw out is the fatal flaw in the G6 for longer features IMHO and post production work like color grading.

Dave - The G6 cannot do Raw 4:2:2 video out of HDMI. The quality of the D7100 video captured in this mode is better than anything the G6 can produce. No HDMI raw out is the fatal flaw in the G6 for longer features IMHO and post production work like color grading.
I read the G6 has most of the video capabilities that the GH2 had which was very popular with the video crowd, I don't do enough video myself to argue one way or the other although when I had my D7100 for a bit I thought is was useless for video using autofocus as the mirror-less cams are still are much better at focusing video than a mirrored DSLR in live view, I think Canon has solved that in their new 70D but Nikon has not conquered that issue unless I missed something...

Dave - yes it looks like Canon might have the magic bullet for DSLR AF, but I've found that MF seems to work best on longer lenses and for stuff like a 12-24 Hyper focal distance works good because of the very large DOF.

For most folks you are correct the G6 would work "better" but for small Indies and video folks I see a lot of people using external recording devices (but the expense of doing this is large - need a full cage for the camera, external monitor, and the recorder).

Dave - yes it looks like Canon might have the magic bullet for DSLR AF, but I've found that MF seems to work best on longer lenses and for stuff like a 12-24 Hyper focal distance works good because of the very large DOF.

For most folks you are correct the G6 would work "better" but for small Indies and video folks I see a lot of people using external recording devices (but the expense of doing this is large - need a full cage for the camera, external monitor, and the recorder).
Yeah the people who are into video and cinema use all that extra stuff like rails and such so it's way over my head... :confused:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom