Question for backyard bird feeders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glacier, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Have you noticed a difference this year in the number of birds coming to your yard? I am barely having to fill my feeders now and this is definitely unusual. I don't have near the variety or numbers using the past few years as a baseline. We have had unusually warm temps for March and I suppose that could be the reason but I don't know for sure. Anyone else notice a change?

2. It's a similar position here in the UK. Various studies using the general public have shown that wild birds have been staying away from city gardens. The official postion seems to be that an unusually warm winter has meant that food is in abundance in the countryside and there is no need for them to visit our gardens.

Here on Skye we have had a very wet winter but not very cold for any length of time. The birds visited poorly during the winter but now that breeding is nearly underway they are coming back to the feeders. I would guess that more have survived the winter than usual and we will have a bumper crop chicks soon provided that the insects had a good one too.

We are enjoying flocks of skylarks in the garden at the moment.

3. I have had large numbers here Andy

4. We are going through bird feed like crazy. Hasn't slowed down at all since the beginning of spring... Frankly, I'm photographing birds this year that I've never seen here before.

Probably a regional, weather related thing... :rolleyes:

5. My feeder is almost none stop with birds!

6. I've noticed a difference too! Now you know, this is nest building time. That could also have something to do with it.

7. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Our first migrants are due in in the next few weeks. We've had one of the coldest winter's on record, and there is more snow in some parts of the state than normal. Here, we are worried that birds will be late, and that some nesting won't occur because nesting areas will be still snow covered late into the spring.

8. Actually we've had a lot more this year. Also had a couple of species I hadn't seen here before...towhees and yellow finches.

Cardinals are in much taking over the place!

PaulC

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    We have more this year, too. As this is my 2nd year of feeding year round, I thought that might explain it.

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I've noticed that we have fewer this year too. Of course I let the feeder hang empty for most of the winter though and that probably has a lot to do with it. I have noticed that it's been picking up lately, but the Cardinals do really take over and run everything else off...

We have a lot of finches too though...

11. azhiker

azhiker

Mar 13, 2007
    Phoenix Arizona
    The birds get me up at dawn to feed them every morning.

12. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    I put up suet for the first time and it has been there for a month and not one bird has gone near it. Is there any special place I should hang it? What am I doing wrong? There are plenty birds in my yard but they don't go near it.

13. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks everyone. Still very slow here.