Question for baseball shooters

If the Holy Grail of photographing a batter is to capture the ball when it is actually in contact with the bat, what is the equivalent for a pitcher? Is it at ball release or at some other point in the delivery?

Not sure if this is a very desirable capture, but I used to enjoy the challenge of getting the ball is it was rolling off the pitcher's finger tips...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Frank has the holy grail of BoBs, too...

As Frank says, that's what I strive for...

on another forum, a well-regarded baseball shooter preferred this to a fingertip shot

and then there's mid-air, too...

Actually I don't know what the real "Holy Grail" is for the batter or the pitcher. I've posted a few BoB shots, and also the BOFT, ball on fingertips, shot too. Really those do look cool, but they're not everything since a really great pitcher wind up shot can be even better with the arm behind the back or head, and even in the follow through with the ball close by in the shot after release.
Likewise a great batter follow through, or corkscrewing him/herself into the ground can be very pleasing too, as is the bat up and admiring the long ball. You decide, differing opinions make the world go round. :biggrin:

+1 for what Steve said.

Once upon a time, the wow shots were those that showed the ball rolling off the fingers with enough separation to see that the ball was moving (but not enough separation to look as if you were trying to get the timing right, but were a little off). Of course with digital, you can review your timing and keep adjusting things to the point where anyone can create the same sort of image. Now, if there such thing as a Holy Grail, it is the unusual angle or "pose"--which may vary considerably from pitcher to pitcher-- that will set the image apart from the rest, while still clearly showing the pitcher's face.

P.S.--I don't consider the ball on the bat image the holy grail for batters. If you capture that without showing the batter's face, odds are that nobody is going to want to publish it.

I've never shot baseball (or even seen it played live, come to that) but as a viewer, I've found that BoB shots somehow convey less of a sense of action than do shots with the ball either on its way in, or on its way out...

BOB is a matter of timing but not the Holy Grail. There really isn't a Grail shot for pitchers either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great discussion. I appreciate all of the tips. Also, some great photos that you guys posted. Extremely sharp.

Next question: What do you guys focus on to get the seams on the baseball so sharp? If you are shooting at f/2.8 to f/4.0, can you get the seams in sharp focus if you focus on the pitcher's chest?

I'm having trouble getting sharp shots. See below. Probably poor technique on my part. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks again for your help.

_DSC9242 by maddux fan2014, on Flickr

Boost your ISO (no reason to be shooting at ISO 140) and boost your shutter speed. In the sample you provided, it appears that the hand and ball are somewhat blurred from motion

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom