Question for birders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GenoP754, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Hello and thanks for viewing this.....

I recently took some photos for a story on the president of the NJ Chapter of The Audubon Society. In the group of photos I sent in some pictures I culled out, however this photo of a Male Downy Woodpecker was used. They have a whole area dedicated to back yard birding at their store and I can understand why they chose this from that angle, but what I really want to know is this a rare or difficult bird to photograph?

They even go into detail and describe the red spot ont the birds head.

Thanks,
    GenoP

Nikon D2x ,Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR ,TC-1.7E II
    1/100s f/8.0 at 500.0mm iso200
    original.

2. Nice shot. Not too rare, but it can be difficult to get them in the right lighting and background in the wild.

3. Thanks Rory.

I was just surpirised they picked him over some of the other birds I shot.

Geno

4. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Maybe not so rare!

I'm not much of a bird shooter. In fact, this is my only backyard Bird on my PBase site so my guess is -- it's not all that rare!

5. Re: Maybe not so rare!

Nice photo though!

GenoP

6. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks, I was pleased with it. My only complaint was that I hadn't gotten much around the eyes. Yours is much better for that!

7. It really depends on the audience the article was for. This is a recognizable "backyard bird" and so appeals to a lot of beginning birders or even those who aren't really birders at all, but just enjoy nature. Its quite a common bird and actually one of the easiest to photograph, because it does come to feeders, and it also tends to stay fairly still while pecking (unlike, say, a warbler!) So, I'm not surprised they chose a shot of this bird.

and congratulations on your photo in the article!