Question for D2X'ers who DONT have focus problems

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by tweber, Apr 18, 2005.

1. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    I'm trying to "test reality" on my D2X. I have had some focus issues, not of the variety experienced by Jim, and I'm wondering if it's just the way of the D2X. With my D2H, when photographing events, I experienced no problems grabbing instant focus. My keeper rate was easily 90%. With the D2X I am experiencing situations where I can't shoot. Last night it resulted in a few missed shots at a large event. I was shooting AF-S with A4 lock on ON, Center focus area and Focus (not release) on the AF menu.

Today, while experimenting, I switched A4 Lock on to OFF and left the other settings in tact. It seemed to improve focus results, but I still ran into situations where the camera couldn't get focus until I recomposed - low contrast black chair for instance. (SB-800 Flash was on camera, as it was last night). Of course, if I switch to release mode it surely fires, but isn't necessarily focused. So, that's not a realistic option for me. I'm not saying the D2H was invincible, but I don't recall having this type of issue with grabbing focus.

Can others chime in with your experience? If this is normal for the D2X, maybe I just need to keep learning the camera. If it's not normal it would, of course, be good to know.

Thanks.

Tom

2. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    So far I'm finding that if a shot is missed its my fault. Odd that I can see that I missed the shot when I take it which is something I couldn't see with the D1X. I've been checking it out on soccer, skateboarders, race horses, and T-ball. Later this morning I'm heading over to Augusta to get some shots of Lance Armstrong and friends. Will take pot luck if he happens to show in a photo but fast bikers will be good for additional testing.

Overall, I'm finding the D2X to be a critter to be tamed. But then again, when I think back to the first days and weeks with the D1X, it was the same thing. Every new horse has its own manners that we have to learn even if we know how to ride a horse.

3. Tom,

It may not be entirely appropriate for me to respond, because I'm experiencing the same kind of focus issues that Jim has been seeing. However, what you are describing matches quite well with much of my experience so far with the D2x.

I've been experimenting with lots of different options lately trying to improve my results and have only been able to make a small dent in my "keeper" rate. Part of that is related to the fact that I've been shooting more in adverse conditions lately (low light mostly), but even my outdoor shots with static subjects have been impacted by occasional "focus confusion" -- situations where, for no apparent reason, the camera can't seem to acquire a decent focus.

As Larry says, there's much to get used to with a new camera. I'm slowly plodding my way through the learning curve, and my experience so far with the D2x has been wonderful in every aspect except focus. Specifically, I've been very happy with color rendition, use of auto WB (which I depend on far too much), detail (when focused of course), ergonomics, speed, and overall "feel" of this well-constructed camera. I am still happy that I bought it, and I'm confident that Nikon will eventually be able to resolve the specific issues that I've been seeing.

4. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Thanks Larry and David

I appreciate your taking the time to share your experiences. I'm going to keep working with it and see how it goes. So far, I'm not sure I have the JimF syndrome. I'm not getting OOF shots so much as experiencing situations that David describes where the camera won't lock focus. But I don't have enough experience so far to know if it's a real problem.

The rest of my experience matches up with David's description. I shot an event in a church Sunday evening, where I had previously used my D2H. The results by comparison were spectacular. Low light shooting at ISO 320 to 600 with no noise to speak of.

Tom

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    JimF

Wow...I have my very own syndrome named after me now?

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

6. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Re: JimF

I was going to dub it the JF syndrome, but thought I'd be more specific. I was also thinking of creating a plaque... ;-)

Tom

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Tom

Wicked awsome.....

Can I get a picture of me on it and everything?

As it's for a syndrome, I'll be sure not to take my medication that morning :)

This is even better than the "Jimmys Service Station" sign my aunt bought for me at an auction one time!

Thanks!

8. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Re: Tom

I tried to put your picture on it, but it was out of focus....

Tom

9. Tom, Tom, Tom, ...

The people right outside my office are now trying to figure out why I was laughing so hard after reading this. :) :)

Good one!

10. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    For David

Well David,

It was the setup of a lifetime! ;-)

Tom