Question for D3S owners who previously owned D3 bodies...

I'm just wondering if you were happy upgrading to the D3S from the D3? I'm pretty happy with D3 performance and my current glass. There isn't much I can't tackle. Am I missing out not having a D3S?

Thanks for any opinions!

I considered the D3s not as an upgrade but as a second FX body.

I decided to keep saving my pennies for the D3X because I want the greater resolution for my landscape work. I don't need the better lowlight performance of the D3s which I see as its principal improvement over my D3.

I considered the D3s not as an upgrade but as a second FX body.

I decided to keep saving my pennies for the D3X because I want the greater resolution for my landscape work. I don't need the better lowlight performance of the D3s which I see as its principal improvement over my D3.
Had the D3X, loved it. But sold it to finance a lens purchase. It's just that I'm starting to rack up mileage on my D3 and would rather sell it while I can so I can put that money into a newer camera body.

I have the D3 and D3s. About the only difference is the better ISO performance and video. I'd stick with your D3.
Just to avoid the fight the last time this topic was raised. :smile:

Electromen is right, as long as you have done the last firmware update for the D3. I have.

I use both cameras at weddings with different lenses. Sometimes I don't realize which camera I'm using. In Lightroom the only way to tell which camera was used is to look at the metadata. Both cameras have the same menu setup. However in a dark church without flash, I always make sure I've got the D3s.

Had the D3s/D3 combo at one time, Jonathan. Rarely shoot over ISO6400 so I traded
the D3s for a 200-400 f4 VR and a few hundred. No regrets, I don't give a rats arse about video.
My D3 makes me lots of money, just taking pictures. :cool:

Another thing to possibly consider is the buffer upgrade. Its convenient to have if you need it, but not something you'll miss if you don't.

I upgraded from D3 to D3s because it was a cheap move after with a private sale of my D3 and a good priced 2nd hand D3s. It's only about a stop and a half at most difference but I much prefer the files out of the D3s, plus I like playing around with the video.

If the D3 provides you with what you need though, I wouldn't bother and just wait for what is to come next.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom