1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

question for learning.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Commodorefirst, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    OK,

Having been spoiled for many years with my CP 5000 and it's easy macro ability, I am wanting to do the same with my DSLR cameras.What are the advantages or disadvantages of either the 500d, or extension tubes, with my 180mm 2.8 and 300 f4 AF-S vs the cost of a true Macro lens. How much do I loose, how are working conditions different for these three different setups? 500d, tubes, and lens.

suggestions, information, and help needed.

thanks,

Wade

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Extension tubes aren't really practical for telephoto lenses, because the longer the focal length the less magnification the tube will give you. So for the lenses you list I'd recommend the 500D or other multi-element diopter.

As for the advantages of a true macro lens. Well for starters they will typically have a much longer turning radius for focusing, which means you can make finer-grained adjustments when manually focusing since focus point and DOF are so critical for macro work. Also macro lenses are often optimized to give very good sharpness across the entire frame and may also be optimized for optimal sharpness at close focusing distances and when stopped down.

My suggestion would be to get the diopter now if you're wanting to test the waters and aren't ready to commit the $$ to a macro lens.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Jeff and Paul,

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated, answered some of my questions, I think I will go the 500D route, but I have also heard good things about the Nikon 5T etc. So time to start making a decision.

thanks again.

Wade

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.