1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question for NEF files on MAC

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by daveg, Mar 8, 2019.

1. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    On a Windows PC, in order to view NEF thumbnails, the accepted practice is to install the Nikon NEF Codec where necessary.

In the same circumstances on a MAC, i.e. thumbnails showing an icon, what is the accepted solution?

Please note - not interested in third party solutions.

DG

2. Apple used to support new cameras with a standalone Apple Camera Raw updater. But starting in Sierra, they have eliminated that and you now need to upgrade the OS to get new native camera support.

3. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Is there an upgrade which includes support for the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras e.g. Nikon Z6/7

4. Mojave supports Z6/Z7.

5. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    OK, thanks guys.

I am a Windows user but this question crops up regularly and I wanted to know the answer for both Windows and MAC.

Incidentally, my Laptop (W10) was way behind and I decided to upgrade NX-D in order to be compatible with my Z6. I then updated the NEF Codec and only then I was able to view the Thumbnails in Windows Explorer. I had wondered if updating NX-D might have cured the Windows Explorer problem, but no, only the NEF Codec does the trick (on Windows).

DG

6. My mid-2010 macbook pro with High Sierra shows thumbnails of D7200 Nef's with no problems.

7. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Desmond,

The cameras that I was concerned about in this case are the Z6 and Z7.

DG

8. ok sorry! :) 

9. And why would most users NOT be interested in upgrading to the most recent, most secure version of MacOS? "If you are willing to upgrade....." sounds rather pejorative, doesn't it? Why do you have this attitude? Of course anyone can do what they wish, but......IMHO hanging on to an old version of the OS, especially one several versions old, is really in the end more foolish and time-wasting, undoubtedly problematic in terms of user security and privacy than it is useful and valuable...... To each his own, of course.

And, yes, to get on topic, the latest version of MacOS, Mojave, does have support for current cameras.

10. I have an "older"MBO--Mojave is off limits.

11. This situation presents a real problem for the person who is contemplating buying a new model of a camera and who is still using an older computer unable to to utilize the current OS. I would guess that in many situations someone looking at a new camera purchase is also eyeing his or her computer with concern, too, and checking out whether or not it will able to work with the new camera model and/or file sizes. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of times a major new camera body purchase also is accompanied by a new computer purchase as well..... which means $$$$$$$$ and OUCH!!!! for the bank account.

12. Well, since you asked... because the file system sucks, there is no replacement for quick indexing (making volume wide file searches like molasses), they moved from AFP to SMB (but SMB1 support is broken), they are more and more locking down the ONE THING that has made the Mac stand out for the last 30 years... interapplication communication (firing the man responsible for it 2+ years ago).

BTW, the last two versions of the OS had massive, laughable security flaws when rolled out so it ain't always a good idea to stay current. And BTW, I have an Internet facing server running SL, and short of Apple abandoning SSL support for their own web browser, we have had zero issues.

And throwing away the 32-bit kernel later this year is simply not an option. Far too many beautiful utils that the masses have no use for, so they will never see an update (not to mention most would require a complete rewrite from the ground up due to Apple breaking its promises about 64-bit Carbon frameworks).

You may prefer a locked down system that is designed to prevent unsophisticated users from shooting themselves in the foot, but that was NEVER what the Mac was about. That is iOS territory, and it is slowly but surely migrating to the Mac. The dumbing down of the OS affects both Mac and Windows... to the point where enterprise users are uncomfortable with current versions.

You refer to "most users" in your remarks, but it is hard to know who they are these days. If they are the typical iPhone/iPad user, you're probably right... but the Mac is only 10% of Apple's business these days so I dunno. Most of the hundreds of Mac users I communicate with are developers and creators, and even the most stalwart Mac fans among them are unhappy with the direction Apple has been headed.

This is just another "get them to upgrade" move by Apple. Before Steve died, there was a standalone Apple Digital Camera Raw updater you could run to get new raw file support on any system. They now force you into the next OS for support of new raw files.

YOU NEED AN OS UPGRADE (and possibly new computer) TO SUPPORT AN UPDATE TO A RAW FILE!? I am just curious, what is Apple going to have to do to anger you? I'd really like to know.

F' Apple. I use tools like Capture NX-D and DxO PhotoLab that don't rely on Apple's OS level raw file support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. There's no point in updating MacOS or any other software unless the update provides something that is of interest or advantage to you, the individual user and it's up to you the user to make that decision. More and more the "updates" look like part of an "iOSsification" strategy with the aim of ditching the Mac line. The latest effort, Mojave, is a bad joke and my decision of "no" was easy (and not even a "no thanks").

The good news in our community is that editing/library software will take care of the camera catch up issue (eventually and mostly). The bad news, if Apple, or rather, Tim Cook, keeps going this way , my current iMac will be the last and I suspect I'm far from alone there. Or maybe, just maybe, since the "i-Thing" bubble is showing signs of deflating, if not bursting, some more serious rather than cosmetic effort will be given to Mac hardware and software.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nobody ever enjoyed spending my money for me more than Uncle Frank. When I went from a D80 to a D7000, he insisted that I get a new computer so it would handle the larger file size. I didn't. The joy of refusing his expenditure of my money was more than the joy of having a new computer. :ROFLMAO: 

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I only update OSX when a version of it has been released more than nine months previously or when the third-party Applications on which I depend require a newer version of OS X.

On the other hand, I always update my applications immediately (the full Adobe CC Suite in my case) and those programs now post new camera support on the day that a new model of a camera first ships.

I don't use any of Apple's image-editing software so their OSX updates are of no significance.

16. To quote the great philosopher, Larry The Cable Guy, that there's funny I don't care who you are.

17. Scott, it's interesting to see how hot under the collar you get about Apple..... Wow! I am sorry that Apple is no longer meeting your particular needs. I agree that there does seem to be more-and-more a move towards integrating iOS and MacOS and I won't be surprised if in a few years that does occur. When a new version of MacOS comes along I usually wait a couple of days before going ahead and downloading and installing it, just to be sure that there are no unpleasant "gotchas" and other surprises. I look at the new features and functions and those in which I'm interested I'll try out and use, others I just ignore. For instance, I tried out the "Dark Mode" feature so many people were excited about and after a day or so, went back to the familiar, easier-on-my-eyes "Light Mode." "Dark Mode is great when working with images, but with text it can make for difficult reading. Most third-party editing programs use dark mode and I do appreciate it there, no need to have it in my everyday use, too, though.

Apple is moving forward, they are not catering to those who still want to cling to old 32-bit apps, USB-A ports and built-in SD card slots. They got rid of built-in optical drives years ago. Sure, at first there was a lot of whining about that but realistically, how many people still need an on-board SuperDrive slot, when new software apps are downloaded these days rather than on a CD/DVD packaged in a box and when movies and music are also readily downloadable? For me the transition to USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 on the new machine I bought in December has been pretty smooth and uneventful since over the past couple of years when purchasing external drives I've been mindful to buy ones that come with two cables so that I could use them with my 2015 machine and its USB-A ports and now with the new machine and its USB-C ports. As for 32-bit apps, I don't have any on my computer, as most apps that I have used over the years have been updated appropriately to 64-bit as needed. When I switched from the older machine to the new one, I reviewed my apps and left a few behind as they were no longer needed.

"YOU NEED AN OS UPGRADE (and possibly new computer) TO SUPPORT AN UPDATE TO A RAW FILE!?". No, of course not. When I purchased the RX100 M6 last summer Sony already had the appropriate coding ready and available as part of the app they offered and a couple of third-party editing applications also quickly made RAW conversion available in their programs as well. I don't use Apple's Photos app, and although I still have Aperture in my machine I don't depend on it for editing my images any more.

18. I am afraid I will have to disagree. Apple has learned (and became rich) that their users will spend good money on disposable devices every year or two. This has affected design decisions on the Mac side. The new machines are essentially unrepairable by AAP's, and their agressive stance against third party repair facilities has been well documented.

You do. You mentioned all of the hard drives you have around with archived data. Do you realize that archival optical media has a shelf life 5 times that of a hard drive? It is superior to both magnetic and flash storage for archival purposes.

Maybe not you or I, but the masses that use photos, want QuickLook and thumbnail support do. Tim Cook's catch phrase has been "it is all about the user experience" for years. So... they feel the need to upgrade on OS for new raw file support, removing the headphone jack from a media consumption device (have you listened to wireless headphones compared to a good wired set), and unserviceable/un-upgradeable hardware all contributes to the user experience?

iOS is Apple's cash cow, and you can be certain it is headed for the desktop market. I need to program my own computer. Apple used to be all about that (HyperCard, AppleScript, Frontier, OpenDOC). But now I can do more with a $30 RPi than a $1000 iOS device, which is little more than an opaque appliance. The power of the computer should be in the hands of the user. It is both sad and frustrating that Apple no longer feels that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.