Question for owners of the Wimberly head??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    If you have one, then you know that they are massive. :? Until I got this thing, I stored my tripod with the Acratech ballhead in a shallow plastic tub with form cut foam in the bottom (I also stored my monopod and my dismounted Sidekick there). This protected everything from dings and bangs. There is no way in Hell that the big Wimberley will go in there. :roll:

For the few days that I've had the big W, I've just left it on the tripod, and set the entire assembly on some towels in the back of my truck, but this is not a good long term solution. Taking the Wimberley off of the tripod for storage isn't my idea of a good time either. I don't want to have to mount and unmount my head every time I shoot.

So my question is, do you leave the thing mounted, and if so, how do you carry / store it?

Thanks,

Frank

2. I actually just keep it on the tripod at all times. It is powder coated so it will take quite a licking before anything goes wrong with it.

Isn't it the greatest by the way? makes my Sigma 800 5.6 light as a feather!

3. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Mine is also mounted.
    I just putt a garbage bag over the Wimberley and store it uprite
    in the closet. fully uprite-well to my favorite hgt.

Birger

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Mine stays on too

I just telescope it in just enough to fit when I transport it in the station wagon. The 200-400 gets safety belted on the front seat around the foot with both the lap and shoulder belts. Frank, have you looked at the Gitzo Leveling head yet? Birger told me about it. Saves a ton of time leveling the setup.
    Total setup time takes 1 min.

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Frank,

I think it would be hard to hurt the big W.

I keep mine on the Gitzo tripod and stand it in the corner with legs shortened. I keep a canvas bag (from my collection of bags) over the W and it works fine.. When in the truck I just lay it across the seat.

If I were traveling on an airline it would be a different story. Not sure how I"d take it but would have to ship it through in baggage and leave clothes behind.

I think we just have to face the fact that we have a very fat baby :lol:

Gaye

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I bought a huge padded Gitzo bag that fit the rig just fine

Wimberley and all. Seems to travel well in that thing.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Steve,
    Which bag did you get...is there a number? It would be good for air travel I'll bet. What do you think?

Gaye