1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question for PS CSn folks

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by crashmeister, Aug 7, 2008.

1. What I want to know is whether it is possible (in any version of Photoshop) to save your work and then when you reopen the file, go back to a specific step, and modify that step.

Thanks,

2. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Craig -- do you use layers? If so, when you save your work and come back to it later, you can go back to a particular layer and re-adjust many of the things you did there. Or, if you wish, delete the layer and start over with that imgae modification on a fresh layer -- all without modifying the original image contained in the background layer. [On the other hand, had you not used layers, any modifications you made to the image are destructive. i.e., the original image has been changed.]

If you don't use layers today, why not investigate some of the tutorials available that illustrate their use?

This is an interesting area and I suspect others will chime in with similar suggestions.

Best Regards,

3. John, thanks for the reply. Don't layers take up huge amounts of disk space ?

I seem to recall trying layers and the resulting files were 100Mb+, but I could be wrong.

4. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Craig -- alas, that's the price you pay: layers == larger files. However, for critical work you probably will find this is the best way to go w/PhotoShop. As always, YMMV. A lot depends on what you are doing with a particular image: sometimes a few quick 'tweaks' is all you need and you may find layers are overkill.

Good thing disk drives are getting cheaper, eh?

Best Regards,:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.