Question for Silver Efex Pro 2 gurus

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by Mike Buckley, Nov 30, 2017.

1. I am running Silver Efex as a plug-in to Photoshop CC. After saving the adjustments made using Silver Efex, a layer is added to Photoshop. Is there any way to later open that image in Silver Efex Pro that also retains the adjustments made previously in that software? If so, I haven't been able to figure that out.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Look at Smart Layers.

When you Open an Image from ACR into Photoshop you can configure it to open as a 16 Bit Tiff in a Smart Layer. You can send that to SEFX and it returns as part of the Smart Layer. You can tweak that.

You can also create a new layer and make that a Smart Layer and use it in the same way.

Google "Julianne Kost + Smart Layer".

DG

3. Thanks, Dave!

4. Using a Smart layer retains the adjustments that were made in Silver Efex but the corresponding settings aren't displayed there. Instead, the default settings are displayed. Is there any way to get Silver Efex to display those settings that were previously made?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  5. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Hi Mike,

It works for me - see attachment. When I click on the link for the second time the sliders in SEFX indicate the previous adjustment. It is the same for all plugins.

Untitled-1.

6. Thanks again, Dave. I was using a different method of re-opening the image in Silver Efex. The method you explained works exactly as I had hoped.

7. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Great,

It also works on a layer converted for Smart Objects.

DG

8. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Please be careful with smart layers when you use plug- ins like SEP2 Mike. Photoshop might get really slow and it might stop working sometimes. So, save your psd file often. You can also back up your psd file by saving it with a different name in case PS crashes and ruins your psd file ( I experienced it a couple of times and learnt my lesson). If you feel that PS has got slowed down during your edit, you might as well exit PS and open it again for a fresh start .

9. Many thanks for that tip, Binnur. In my very limited use so far, I haven't experienced any issues. I'm grateful to know to keep an eye out for them.

10. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    When you use more than one smart filter like CEP4, Viveza, Camera Raw filter on top of each other , the risk is more. Because PS gets very busy while storing so many information.

11. A new development...

Dave provided the screenshot above explaining to double click the Silver Efex nested layer. When I did that a few days ago, Silver Efex would launch and all of the image's adjustments and the settings that correspond to those adjustments would be displayed. Now when I do that with files processed in the past couple of days, Silver Efex no longer opens. Instead, Silver Efex displays a Blending Options dialog box, which includes a drop down menu of the various blending modes, an opacity adjustment and a small window displaying part of the image at 100%. Whether I click "OK" or "Cancel," the image remains displayed in Photoshop rather than opening in Silver Efex.

Any ideas?

12. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Hi Mike,

There are two links. If you click on the text "Silver FX" it will do what you want. The little icon to the right of the text takes you tou its Blending Options.

DG

13. Ahhhhhhhhh. That explains everything, Dave. Thanks again!