Question for the Teachers in the Cafe:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JessP7, Jul 30, 2008.

1. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    I am trying to get myself ready for the new school year (mentally, I don't think I ever get ready). I was wondering if any of you have a good gradebook program that you like to use. I need a good one that will hopefully help me keep track of absences, daily grades, test grades, and exams. I would prefer a free program, but I know that those do not always offer all the good features. Please share your ideas, if you have any. Thanks.

2. I create one in Excel and custom fit it to each class/semester. I know enough to be very dangerous with Excel (and Office 2007 doesn't help much!)--fortunately I have help around me that is safe!

3. Our district uses Aries Browser interface by Eagle Software that is really good. It does attendance, absences, grades, cum files, student information, EVERYTHING! I can access it from home and makes this aspect of teaching very easy. Sorry that I couldn't offer any other freeware ideas but do a search because somewhere, someone has written or came up with some type of program.

4. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    My wifes' school uses Grade Quick. before they standardized, and furnished the software, she usedTteacher's Toolbox. I think it is an easier program to use, but they had already bought the record keeping software that worked with Grade Quick.

Amazon has it for $37.99.

5. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    +1 for GradeQuick...

I just enabled GradeQuick Web for our schools, not a free version by any means because we have hundreds of users, but as someone else has posted a single-user version can be had for under $40.

6. Since I teach at a very small school, each teacher uses his/her own method. I, too, use Excel, which comes with a built in gradebook, which I slightly customize... but I don't use it for attendance/tardies/etc, just for grades.

7. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    Thanks for these suggestions. I tried using Google but the results don't help as much as having someone say that they have used a certain program and that it worked/didn't work and why. I have looked a the programs that you all have suggested. I was hoping for something free, but I just may have to fork over a few dollars if I really want this thing to work.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Oh, I also should mention that I will be putting this program on my own personal laptop because my computer at school probably wouldn't run it anyway. It is 7 years old and is still running on Windows 98!

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Grade Machine, although support is being turned off and there will be no further development, but they have programs for mac and windows, I used it for years until our district moved to a online program

In google try typing "shareware teacher grading program", I got lots of hits with that search.

Wade

9. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    My district has gone to a propriatary on line grade book (grrrr), but before that we used Easy Grade Pro...I highly recommend it!