Question for those with iPads

Wifi or 3G question.

1) If you have a Wifi only iPad, do you regret not getting the 3G model?

2) If you have a 3G iPad, how often are you finding yourself using the 3G?

We are going to (hopefully) get one tonight at the Apple store, but debating on if we want to get the 3G version. At $130 extra price, it's not a no-brainer!

We do travel probably at least twice a year. We both have iPhones (ATT, so hotspot is extra, not paying that!), but I wonder if the wifi model might just be good enough.

Home: Columbia, MD, USA; Present: Bogota, Colombia
I have 3 iPads. All are WiFi only. The first iPad was a gift to my wife because she travels with work a lot. She always has WiFi at hotels. We live outside the U.S. (for now) and when I purchased it we where not sure the 3G would even work in a lot of places. The other two iPads are only used by the kids at home they have e-books and educational apps only. Once again WiFi is all we needed.

I would think that with your iPhones you have got the "away from WiFi" covered.

I have a wifi only version for almost a year and I do not regret not buying the 3g version. Maybe because majority of the places I use it at have free wifi and I also have an iphone v2 jailbreaked used as a hotspot (I rarely use).

You also need to add the cost of the data plan on the price difference.

Well, the cost of the data plan is ONLY if you buy it for that month, which is what I really like. No long term commitment.

By jailbreaking it, you can have hotspot and not be charged extra?

I have wifi only and do not regret that, possibly because I have access to wifi hotspots almost everywhere I use the iPad (home, office, train, airport, ferry, most restaurants etc). For the remaining locations, the iPhone suffices.

Home: Columbia, MD, USA; Present: Bogota, Colombia
John,

There is Q&A today on CNET which talks about your origianl question.

In answer to your later question about the jailbreak. Yes if you jailbreak your phone you can download an app which will allow you to tether in the background. Technically this violates the Terms of Service you have with AT&T. Also, jailbreaking the phone, while legal, can make furture upgrades to the phone problematic. Make sure you read up on what is envolved before you do it.

I bought my wife the 64Gb ipad wifi only for Christmas. Every now and then in the car I hear 'if I had 3G now...' but she's just joking. As many have said, there is wifi everywhere and where there isn't, the iPhone is enough. With the 64Gb version, she has it loaded up with music, movies, apps, and photos and there is still plenty of room for more. On trips we are not lacking for entertainment.

Yeah, I know about the issues with jailbreaking an iPhone. I just found out that the tethering (hotspot) feature is a month by month feature, so will go that way

Btw, am #2 in line at best buy. Getting the 32gb one

I have both the 3 g and the wifi only.....although I don't need to have the 3 g very often I like knowing that it is available when I do need it. Right now I am in line at the Tysons Apple store in order to buy the new iPad 2 and it will be the 3 g. To me it is worth it.

We are having fun at the Launch and the line is growing, growing and growing.....

The tethering (hotspot) feature is not worth getting if you use more than 2GB a month and you currently have the unlimited data plan on your phone. ATT will force you abandon your unlimited plan, switch you to a tiered data plan and charge you $20 monthly. Might as well get the ipad with 3g.

If you have an iPhone then jailbreak it and tether. I've jailbroken every ios device I own and it's worked extremely well. In fact my wife is getting our iPad2 this moment.

I bought the 3G model and never looked back. This was a gift to my son who travels with grandparents during school vacations. I wanted to make sure he would have access no matter where he was. This has also come in handy when we have gone out of town, and there are very few internet connections along 71 or 290.

I have both the 3 g and the wifi only.....although I don't need to have the 3 g very often I like knowing that it is available when I do need it. Right now I am in line at the Tysons Apple store in order to buy the new iPad 2 and it will be the 3 g. To me it is worth it.

We are having fun at the Launch and the line is growing, growing and growing.....

Thought you recently said you weren't going to get one?
:confused:

Rich

I have the Wi-fi version and have no regrets about not getting the 3G model. As others have said, I can usually find Wi-fi most places I go, and I have a Verizon Mi-Fi for the times when Wi-fi isn't available.

Real Name
Ken St John
Aw, Rich! You know what a sucker I am for the newest, shiniest Apple item coming down the pike! Somehow my resistance melted away and this morning I found myself in line at the Apple store....my reward is the lovely new iPad 2 that I am typing on right now!

Congrats!!

So far I am resisting this one ....

As to the original question ... I have a 3G with the unlimited data plan. So, I'm basically a hostage - use it or loose it forever!! I like being able to stream videos and so on and not worry a bit when I'm out and about. This is especially helpful when I'm watching my son at his various sport practices.

HOWEVER ... if I were to get a new iPad2, it would probably be a wi-fi only model. I'd probably just deactivate my unlimited plan ($30 a month) and instead activate the hotspot on my iPhone 4 (+$20 a month over what I already have). I'd thus SAVE $10 a month.

(Interestingly, I called AT&T and found that although I have not been skimpy or frugal at all with my iPad's unlimited plan, my largest monthly usage for the past year was just 1.7GB!! I was averaging right around 1GB. I was really quite surprised.)

Cheers!!

Ken

just could not do without an ipad2 could you?

Just HAD to have it!!! I figured that I would wind up wanting one and getting one eventually anyway so made life easy for myself by going ahead and buying her yesterday. Also, I have to say that I really do get a kick out of Launch Days!

It helped that the timing was right, too -- just got my income tax refund!

This thing is really something, astonishingly thin and yet does not feel flimsy in the least. It feels wonderful in the hands, and I am appreciating the speedier responsiveness thanks to the doubling of the RAM from the original iPad.

I haven't tried the camera features yet except to briefly play with Photobooth, which is even more fun on here than on a Mac!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom