Question for V3 users regarding focus selector switch

I just got a V3. I have the camera set to AF-C. If I click on the center of the focus selector switch, it shows a box with small arrows, and I can move that box anywhere in the viewfinder. Now, if I click it again, it turns yellow, and if I move the camera that box moves all over the screen on it's own. I haven't found information in the manual on this. Can anyone help me understand what this is doing?

I never noticed this myself. Looking at the manual I can't find anything about Focus Area and Yellow, other than on page 45 where it talks about Face Priority. I'll keep looking, it will be interesting to find out what is going on.

I guess I shouldn't call it a focus selector switch, but that is what it's like on any SLR or DSLR I've had. This one does more, depending on what menu you are in. But when I press the center, or click it, then it gets the box with arrows that I can move anywhere on the screen (or viewfinder). If I click on the center of that switch again, the box then turns yellow. I think it tries to follow whatever it was that was in the box when I click it, but I'm just not sure. I can normally figure out cameras without manuals, but I've read the PDF version, and the print version, and somewhere I'm sure I'm missing what this is doing.

I just got a V3. I have the camera set to AF-C. If I click on the center of the focus selector switch, it shows a box with small arrows, and I can move that box anywhere in the viewfinder. Now, if I click it again, it turns yellow, and if I move the camera that box moves all over the screen on it's own. I haven't found information in the manual on this. Can anyone help me understand what this is doing?
if it moves on the screen on its own you probably have it set to AF tracking.
press the F button and the first box on the bottom left of the screen sets your focus mode. set it to either auto AF area or single point AF area.

alternately you may have it on face recognition and the camera is trying to find something that looks like a face.

Steve, please send me a PM after you are comfortable with V3; I am considering buying one but have not yet convinced myself. Thanks.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom