1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question for you interweb experts!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill N, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Bill N

Bill N Guest

So when I'm doing some research on boats and motors(never signing up or giving my email address while doing this) and in the next days that follow I start receiving email from boat and motor web site.... how do they do that??? How do they connect my IP address to my email address?? why don't others in my family that share IP address but differing email addresses not get these boat and motor emails??? TIA

2. What browser are you using?

3. IAMAMRA

IAMAMRA

Mar 17, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Google...

4. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Ff 3.6.16

5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    This is why I always don my tinfoil hat when browsing.

6. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Well, I have my slippers on the wrong feet. That works most of the time. I guess I should be happy that I don't seem to get the spam about improving certain things about myself that used to be so frequent years ago. My ISP must be doing a better job at screening!

7. I would've bet you were using Chrome. You got me on this one - I use Safari. Defenitely a little creepy and tinfoil hat worthy...

8. Bill N

Bill N Guest

This sounds like it might be. Though I do have a non google email address. Thanks!

9. Install these add-ons to FF

AdBlock and Adblock extensions
    No Script
    Flashblock
    Ghostery

Change your cookie handling to "Ask Every Time" for first party cookies and "block" third party cookies.

I don my "tinfoil hat" on the 'web too.

10. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Been a FF user for years. I have always been pretty happy with it. I have an older version of IE just for updating my PC. I don't know if you can connect to MS update with FF, you couldn't years ago.

11. Ditto all of those add-ons. BTW, I also have one "junk" mail account that I do use for this purpose.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.