1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

question for you macro shooters

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by chewbecca, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Do any of you ever shoot AF for your macro shots, or do you always manually focus for your macro shots?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    I always shoot manual focus for macros.

3. depends on your definition of macro I suppose - I shoot AF on all my shots including the 'macros' but then again I'm using my 300 F4 to shoot them too...

4. I will MF, if I find that AF is hunting too much.

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Yeah it depends on what you mean by macro, at 1:1 or thereabouts AF is useless and MF is far better however for things like insects where you can't get that close and move about a lot AF will sometimes do.

That said I use MF when I can because of the level of precision needed for macro.

6. I mostly use AF as I often am not technically in the Macro range of closeness... When I am though, I will use MF. Another reason I often use AF my eyes are not the best so MF is iffy for me...

7. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    It depends. I usually shoot AF but using a 60mm means you have to get pretty close so if you want a particular area to be in focus or if the insect for example doesn't stand out enough from the background and AF fails to pick it up then I'll use MF. I was shooting a very skinny insect on the trunk of a tree over the weekend and was trying to get just the profile against the sky. AF would keep jumping ahead to the trees in the distance so I had to MF. I'm not quick enough to manually focus on moving objects either so I'll use auto focus for any insects that aren't asleep!

8. I have never tried MF with micro, I miss a lot of shots I guess. MF has just not worked well for me and my eyes. Maybe I need to give it another try now that I have the D300. I trap shoot a lot when using tubes, and that can be a slow way to get a pic, but it works.

9. thanks, guys.:biggrin:

10. I really only use my 90 macro for macro and always manual focus.

11. With my 105 VR, I mostly manual focus on tripod with VR off. If I'm handholding then AF on, VR on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.