Question for you.................

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAVE VAN, Jan 3, 2006.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have to print, mat and frame (3) submissions for the "Photography 25"
    exhibit at Perkins Center for the Arts this week. This is a very famous show in the area and last year I actually had a photo accepted for exhibit. I spent all day yesterday going through what I thought was the best of my work for the year. I narrowed it down to 6 photos and asked my wife to pick out her top 3 that I would than enter. She didn't really like any of them :confused:
    I was looking towards a Black and White abstract "Art" photo and she likes people.
    After looking through hundreds of shots last night she picked this one. I tried to tell her that to me it is a snapshot and really shouldn't be entered into a photography art exhibit. What do you all think?

"Mud People"

48371075.mud2.

2. I'm with you Dave. The image is priceless, but I would not enter it in an Art Exhibition.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Personally

Having been through 8 photo competitions over the past two years, I'd submit this one in a heartbeat.

One of the main comments I've heard and seen written from jurors is that they want images to evoke or convey feelings...be they happiness, sadness, thought provoking etc.

At the last rather snooty competition, a ferris wheel going around and a picture of a horse that looked like it was smiling took first and second place amongst some incredible entries.

It all depends on the judge(s) on any given day.

If it were me, I'd not hesitate at all with this one.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I dunno, but those people need a shower bad!

5. Keeping in mind that I know little about art competitions, I really like the photo, and I think it would be a nice alternative to the entries that scream 'I'm just soooooo artistic!' :biggrin: The only thing that bothers me about it is that both people are looking in different directions and neither of them is looking at the camera...that does make it seem a bit snapshot-ish. Still, I think it's an image that would grab people, and depending on how the judges felt that day might be very well received. I'm like your wife...I like people photos much more than the abstract artsy stuff :wink:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I love it.
    Once in a lifetime image never to be taken the same ever again.

Original. Well taken image, Invokes lots of great fun and emotion.

I wish it were mine..
    I would enter it.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sommer brings up some interesting comments regarding this image. It is a refreshing capture that would bring a smile to anyone's face. What will help you decide whether this image will make the cut is by remembering what made the cut last year. While this image is opposite of the "artsy fartsy" work that most would enter, would this relaxed, "real life" type of work be snubbed by the judges because they prefer to accept a certain standard of artistic brilliance? If you consider this competition as something elite, perhaps you should enter something a bit more artistic. If this image doesn't scream, "YES" to you, then don't let the judges say, "NO".

8. I think this is an amazing picture. There is such huge proportion of emotion emanating from this picture that even a blind will see through it :). In one word, this photo is "gorgeous".

9. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for your replys. It seems that most here like the photo. :redface:
    The photo that was selected by the judges last year for the exhibit, was also one that my wife picked out. I guess I'll listen to her from now on. :smile:

10. To me it looks like something photographed at an event. When I judge contests, I look first for striking images that fit the subject, if there is a subject. Then I look for originality and involvement by the photographer. But, you never know what a judge will pick. If you have a photograph you really like, the you should certainly enter it. If you don't particularly like an image, don't enter it. If it wins it can be a shallow victory. The final choice is yours, based on your own instincts. Good luck. I think you have what it takes to win. Agonizing over entries can only make you better.