Question: Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm 2.8 - Squeak Of Death

So I am back to Nikon after a brief (but intense :tongue:) love affair with Leica.
I got myself a D600, AF-S 24-70 2.8 and an AF-S 70-200 2.8 VR II.
I intend to make do with a much more simple kit then my previous Nikon life, but I am just thinking of adding something a bit wider. I had the 14-24 2.8 before, but it is just so big and heavy!
So, here I am thinking of the AF-S 17-35 2.8 again (had one before, great lens). It would complement my needs just fine.

The issue: I looked on eBay and, seriously, the large majority have a note about the "squeak of death" (I never had that with the 2 copies I have owned).
Is it that with the years these lenses are doomed to develop the focus squeak (to be followed by failure of the focus motor and costly repairs)?

Your experience and comments are appreciated, thanks!

I've owned the lens for about four years now. It developed the squeek and now has lost auto focus. I'll get it fixed, but currently use it via manual focus. Love then lens, wish the motors would last longer.

Does not the D600 drive the AF with the body motor even if the lens has a motor? If so, I would think that would save a lot of wear n tear on the lens motor.

I bought my 17-35 used. The person I got it from bought it refurbished. I've had no problems. The motors on these lenses seem to be hit and miss, and the frequency of use appears to be a factor. The less they're used, the more likely they are to develop the awful whining sound. I've also learned my lesson about buying big ticket items from flea-bay. I'd buy local, from KEH or from the various on-line camera forums (I got mine here on the Cafe).

Does not the D600 drive the AF with the body motor even if the lens has a motor? If so, I would think that would save a lot of wear n tear on the lens motor.

No. Even if a camera body has a focus motor, AF-S lenses are not driven by it. They use their own motor or no motor at all.

Frits,

I just received my lens back from Nikon Service. Warranty repair for the focus squeak. A real problem when shooting weddings or for quiet applications. Nikon replaced the AFS focus motor - under warranty. The lens is very quiet now. I'm not sure if it will develop the same problem in the future, but for now it is very nice to have a fully functional and quiet lens.

My 2 cents? If you want this focal length, and this lens, get a new one with warranty. Here in Canaduck we get 5 years. I will ensure that I keep on top of this issue. If it squeaks again, it will need to go back again. I believe that if they installed a new AFS motor (revision 2), then that should be the end of it - and I will be very happy with this lens, once again.

Sorry - I would not purchase a used one without warranty. Now if the motor was already replaced, then that may be different. Since mine was replaced within warranty, I can't offer a cost/price for the replacement motor. Maybe someone else can.

All I know is Nikon did a great job of fixing this lens for me. I appreciate their efforts to keep me running smoothly, and quietly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom