1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question on 80-200 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by SamIAM, May 4, 2007.

1. Recently I offloaded my 70-200 VR on ebay (I bought it used and was not shooting enough to justify cost of owning).

Looking at some of the great images using 80-200 by Panos and other forum members, lust has set in for a 80-200 2.8. An AF only model will ensure that AF-S and VR failures will not affect me in coming years.

I do not plan to own AF-S (to keep cost down and I do not shoot fast sports). Hence, I have decided to go for an used 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF (with two zoom rings). Do you think the focusing will be two slow on D200? Or do you think I shall go for Af-s? Or any earlier model (not sure about push-pull that I hear a lot)? You know the state of mind when lust sets in.:biggrin:

Want to hear some opinions from the owners of this lens.

Thanks.

2. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    I have that lens on my d200 and the focusing is amazingly fast.

3. I have the AF-D, had an AF-S VR (and had the AF-D before that as well :redface:) .

Is the AF-S faster? yes. Do I miss it? not really. Maybe I need to think that extra 1/2 second earlier and prepare for the shot more with the AF-D, but I like the way it handles better.

4. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    On the D200, it's fast enough, imho. Not as fast as on the F5, but that's hardly surprising. But fast enough for a three year old running heads on towards me :biggrin:

What's to be missed compared to the AFS is the full time manual override, of course. Since you sold your 70-200, you'll know best whether that's important for you or not. I would stay away from the older (push-pull) models, for the simple reason that they lack the built-in tripod (or monopod :wink:)  mount.

5. Oh yes I should say that both of mine were/are the 2-ring versions. I actually find that the tripod mount sits nicely in the palm of my hand.

6. Barry, I appreciate your response to my post.
    Very well-said David. Thanks for your help.
    That's what I wanted to hear. Great. I am awe-struck by this lens's sharpness wide open and the phenomenal bokeh.
    :Love:
    No I do not require that at this stage.Thanks Arno.

7. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Hi Sam,

The 80-200 2 ring is a very nice lens. It has a very manageable size with great image quality. If you're a center focus bracket kind of guy, on your D200 there won't be that much of a drop-off in AF speed from your 70-200vr. Due to LLD, I've owned every incarnation of the 70/80-200 zooms from Nikon & Sigma except the push-pull. The 2 ring's image quality is right up there with the best of them.

If I were smart (folks, please restrain yourselves :smile: ), I would have held onto mine instead of going for the latest and greatest, be d#mned the cost.

Here's an 80-200 2 ring shot from last summer.

[​IMG]

That lens seemed to have an extremely high yield of keepers.

8. Temptations.....
    That is one heck of a shot.
    Thanks Glenn.

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

nice shot Glenn..i've gotta mint i mean like new copy of that push/pull version and it's sharp sharp sharp from 80 to 200...i don't know for sure but i think if u get a good sample u would be hard pressed to tell any diff in IQ from any of the versions....;-))

10. That pretty much speaks for my experiences as well. The difference in all of them in terms of focusing speed is probably milliseconds... you're not going to notice, so save your money. There is a mint AF-D model in the forsale section right now for $675 and that is a great price for the lens in that condition. You will not be sorry...:wink:

11. Sam, I use the 80-200 non-AF-S on my d200, and it's fast enough to freeze a speeding race car...

64499670.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

a bird in flight...

View attachment 93718

or a child's sweet smile.

View attachment 93719

All the various models of the 80-200/2.8 offer excellent image quality. I'd suggest the 2 ring version, because it includes a tripod mount.

12. I'll restrain myself, but it hurts to see a great straight line and keep quiet :rolleyes: .

13. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Thanks, Sam.

Yea, I like it, but I'm not quite sure that it's "Nuteworthy." :wink:

Sorry Frank, I knew full well that would bother some folks who wanted to let loose. Guess that's my twisted, cruel side showing through. :biggrin: I'll let you zing me next time.:biggrin:

14. Thanks UF.
    Time for me to take the plunge.... (Resistance is futile now.)

:smile:

15. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Mine is pretty fast on the D70s. It's real fast on the D2x. All of the pictures in my zoo cats gallery were taken hand held with the 80-200 (two ring) and Tamron 1.4 SP teleconverter. I have no complaints. But for some lens lust reason, I just purchased a 70-200. After I do a comparison, I'll decide which one to keep.

16. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    I have been looking at this lens as well...I know it sounds silly, but has anyone paired up this lens on a D50?

17. I have never used the AF-D version but can say that the AF-S version absolutely ROCKS!! I doubt you could go wrong either way

18. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Is the AF-S version available anywhere or has it been discontinued? The Nikon site lists an 80-200 but I don't think it's AF-S. E-Bay was the only place I could locate one.

19. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    The AF-S copy of the lens is discontinued, and they cost a mint. I was browsing KEH, and they have the AF-D verions for around 899 or so. I am really trying to decide to go to a new body (D80 with Grip) or go for the better glass...

20. My preference is to have the Glasses first. In Amazon US version of AF-D is available around 831.00.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.