Question on a lens recommendation.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAVE VAN, Dec 5, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I will be photographing several upcoming indoor arena motorsports events in the next few months. I need a fast medium range telephoto. My question is the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 up to the task of this type of photography or should I just bite the bullet and get the 70-200 VR? I really am on a tight budget. Are there any other lens that might fit the bill that I am overlooking?

2. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

The 80-200mm f2.8 should do well on the D2H.

3. The VR on the 70-200 lens makes it a prime candidate for this type of shooting but if you are on a budget the 80-200 would do a nice job as well. My philosophy is to wait until I can afford the lens I want instead of buying an alternative lens. That is why I have the 17-55mm, 70-200mm and 300mm Nikor lenses. I have been the route of buying alternative lenses and I don't do that anymore. I just save up until I can buy what I really want. Right now I have the money saved for the 85mm f1.4 lens but may buy the D200 camera instead. I'm trying to make up my mind.

The goal I set for myself when I started digital photography was to make my hobby pay for my equipment. I have done that and have some money in the bank for my next purchase. My wife will also sport a new diamond ring for Christmas courtesy of my "hobby."

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The VR definitely helps when shooting under 1/100 second, and it will also help with panning shots. But if you're wanting to freeze the action you're going to need a faster shutterspeed anyway and VR won't really matter. Depending on just how bad the light is, you may find that even f/2.8 isn't going to be fast enough. How much reach do you need, could you maybe get by with the 85 1.8? Or if you need more reach maybe consider renting something like the 200 f/2 if it isn't too expensive (I don't know off hand how much these lenses rent for).

5. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Jeff, thanks for the reply. If I go back and look at most of the shots I have taken at these shows both indoor and out, the majority are in the 60-80mm range. I think the 200 f/2 would be to restrictive as would the 85 f/1.8. My 24-120 VR is the perfect range I am just afraid it may not allow me a fast enough shutter speed. I think I will probably give it a try and bring a longer zoom along just incase.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bite the bullet and go 70-200 VR you won't be sorry. A lens forever.
    Or depending on performance. Wait and see what the 18-200 VR new one is like. Trememdous price difference