Question on Adobe photoshop cs3

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by SamIAM, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Greetings,

My first post in this forum.
    Though I owned Elements, I never used it too much.
    Occasionally used Photoshop 5 6 for artwork or so. But I consider myself a beginner.

I am expecting shipment of Cs3 in couple of days.

What you recommend me to become proficient (online tutorial/books etc.) in post processing steps. I never got a good grip on all the tools and their right applicability in Photoshop.

So far my workflow was restricted to Capture Nx (and the recommended steps by Jason P. Odell).

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Perhaps I would go thru the Tutiki articles here at Cafe.

2. Sam,

I recommend you buy a book on the subject. You really need to know the basics. I choose the big dummy's guide, which wasn't very extensive, but gave me enough knowledge to use the program in a few weeks of light study. (I didn't bother with chapters that covered subjects that I didn't consider useful to me).

Books by Scott Kelby come highly recommended. http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digital-Photographers-Voices-Matter/dp/0321501918

The tutorials are excellent, but can't really give you the basics. They're great to pick up new tips once you've got the basics under your belt.

Of course, there are lots of knowledgable people here who would be happy to answer any questions. :smile:

3. I hear lot of good things about Scott Kelby's book. Can that be a good one to start with?

Thanks.

4. I was added the info about Scott Kelby's books at the same time you were asking, lol. Anything by him would be a great place to start.

5. Dan Margulis' books about PS and specifically the LAB color space are pretty important, IMO.

6. I already have the LAB color space book. I realized after buying that PS Elements do not support Lab color space...

It will be useful now.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Check into this product Sam, I have the version for CS2 and I find it well worth the price.

8. Just so you know, you can also download Photoshop tutorials from NAPP on iTunes for free.

It's cool watching them on my PC, but I also take them to view on my IPOD in between shoots.

I have also got my iTunes set to auto update, so I always get the latest ones.

GenoP

9. I also like and recommend Kelby's books. I also like his website, which is at http://www.photoshopuser.com It has a $100 fee but with the fee you get his monthly magazine (actually I think it is 10 issues a year or so), but they are a tremendous source of information with great photos in the examples and the website is rich with tutorials and I have saved enough money to pay for the fee with discounts offered with membership.

I also have found the DVD tutorials of Deke McClelland with Total Training to be very useful. Again, somewhat expensive, but I have been able to sell each version tutorial for nearly what I paid for it and used the money to upgrade. There is a very strong demand for prior version tutorials once the new one comes out for about 6 months or so. There are several other DVD tutorials which are just as good but not as detailed and complete as his.

There is also a ton of tutorials which are free if you just Google different combinations of Photoshop and Tutorials

10. Frank, Geno and Scott:
    Pre-ordered Kelby book. Will take the Total tutorial.
    Many thanks to each one of you.

p.s. I like idea of downloading the podcasts.

11. Definately cool, and lotes of them.....

Wish I could figure out how to link to them.

GenoP

12. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Paul and/or Scott -

How/Where are you able to get discounts. They show hardware like Nikon Flashes but then the details don't tell you much. This is something I will probably do but it would help to sell the CFO if there were hard discounts.

Thanks,

13. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
  14. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Sam, I'm glad you asked your question and thank you to everyone that responded. Lots of useful information here.

15. Sam, I couldn't agree with Miriam more.
    No matter what version of Photoshop you use, you need to learn the basics first, eg. layers and selections.

It can be confusing when you first start to learn Photoshop. The reason is that there is more than one way to do the same thing. Keep that in mind as you go along and focus on just a few things to get started.

Take your time.

I started many years ago with earlier versions and never had the self-discipline to learn PS. I finally ended up taking a class.
    The systematic process of assignments was useful and, then, there was always an instructor to help when I ran into trouble.

Talking with fellow students who are in the same boat as you is helpful too.

Best of luck with CS3.
    It's the best version yet!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

16. How are you finding them? If you can give some guidance on that, that would be great! Would enjoy watching this on my IPOD.

17. Thanks Virginia for your well-thought response. Need to spend more time with this software now.

But by the time I put my 15 month old to bed, I feel so exhausted.:biggrin:

18. I located a few here.

PhotoshopuserTV

Thanks