Question on Canon 500D filter/lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bill N, May 21, 2007.

1. Bill N

Bill N Guest

I was thinking of picking up a canon 500D to try on my 18-200vr., posted a wanted ad here. Any comments from users here? I was kind of wondering what kind of dof could be obtained when using this lens/filter. Thanks for any comments you could pass my way. Bill

2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    The 500D has a focal length of 500mm, which means it focuses 500mm in front of any lens it is put on (focused infinity). That should give you a good idea of how close you can get with this lens.

3. Bill

The Canon 500D is a quality filter - negates the need to lug around a macro lens all the time. I keep mine in my bag - just in case, and only bring out my macro lens when I'm in one of my macro moods.

I'd be tempted to go for the 77mm version and use a step up filter ring, rather than the 72mm version. That way you can use it on a 70-200mm if you have one/get one later.

DOF is pretty good - worth shooting around F/8 or higher if you have available light

My 18-200 arrived yesterday (so much for next day shipping !) - I'll try the 500D on it tonight when I've picked up a step up ring at lunchtime.

Regards

4. Even if the 18-200 focuses way closer, would you still want to do that? Or does it focus down to 500mm for any lens?

5. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    I had this combo but found it to be no substitute for my 105 macro. I also didn't find the increase in magnification or close focusing ability to be substantially higher for me to justify lugging around the filter vs. my dedicated macro. However, having VR with the filter was a nice bonus. Not sure how it works on the 70-200, as I sold the 500D before I got my 70-200, though I've heard it works quite well.

Good luck,
    Brian

6. Here is one I shoot with the 70-200 VR @ f/2.8 Focal length was 125 mm and shutter speed was 1/750th of a second.

_D2H8014.

This is really a cool setup and that will tame the lust for a macro lens for a while. It's probably not perfect but it is close enough to perfection for me at this time.

7. Bill N

Bill N Guest

I have a wanted ad running here and there. I will give it a couple days and see if I can find one used. I think I will get the 77mm size. I have an old Tokina f2.8 80-200 manual focus w/chip that is my poor guys cream machine. For a 20+ year old lens it is a blast to use. Thanks for all the great information you all have given me. Regards, Bill

8. I used to own the 500D

and used it with my 55-200. I might pick one up again, the only reason I sold it was because it does not fit my 70-300 VR which replaced the 55-200.

Pros:
    Excellant glass, nice build (heavy metal). Sharp, no loss of light, no loss of color and contrast. Excellant magnification, can provide a true macro. Can be carried in a pocket and slip onto a telephoto for quick conversion.

Cons:
    Difficult to focus as focus is performed by moving with your feet to find the 'sweet spot'. Dept of Field can be super shallow so getting an entire insects body (for example) into focus from head to bottom can be tricky.

This is a fine substitute for those who do not want to either purchase a macro or have to changes lenses to do close-up work. I can't compare it to true macro lenses, but I believe the result is the same from examples I have seen from other lenses, that being said I find that it this lens can be quite difficult to use in the field and requires alot of patience to get good results.

9. As mentioned, I've used this with my 70-200VR so I don't have to carry an extra lens in the kayak. Great substitute for a macro lens in a pinch. Works well, focusing area is shallow but it gives me what I want. I have a macro lens on its way but I'll continue to carry the 500D in the bag when I don't want to carry a dedicated lens. PJohnP also used this on his 12-24 with excellent results.