Question on charging for time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Allan, Jul 2, 2007.

1. The only way I have made money through photography is by selling prints and an occasional use in a brochure. This morning I received an email and I have no idea how to answer it - how much should I charge. If you have time could you read the email I received and giv me your thoughts:

-----

Hi Allan,

I saw your work on the Photographers Forum of Nashua
    website. Beautiful!

We're in the process of starting up a new NH magazine.
    Are you available to work on assignment? We'd need
    someone to send out to shoot beautiful old homes,
    places of historical interest, landscapes, etc. Do you
    do this? Can you give me an idea of how much it might
    cost? Do you charge per day, per number of photos?

Please let me know if you're interested and if we can
    afford you.

Thanks for your help.

2. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Allan: Being a new magazine which will have a small distribution and probably not a lot of ads at first, they will most likely not be able to afford standard editorial rates for assignments. Most larger editorial magazines would pay a day rate between $500 to $1000. Travel days are generally billed at 1/2 the day rate, and the money spent on travel should be reimbursed. As a start up magazine I doubt they can pay much for a day rate. What you might try, is to get them to pay all travel costs, and then pay you for each photo they use at a decent rate. If it were me, I'd call the editor and discuss it with them. Ask them what they can afford. Be honest, friendly, and it might lead to something beneficial for both parties.

3. Thanks for the information Steve. I think I will ask for $.50 a mile travel (locations won't be more than a couple of hours drive from home), $100 a location, plus a usage fee for images.
    I can't be sure how many people were sent this email; perhaps several. However, I don't want this to be a burden. :)

4. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I do 75 per hour unless its portaits, then its 125 per hour.

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Be honest with them, explain that you understand that they are starting up and you might be willing to start for one price and as their advertising rates rise and income flows if the mag does well, that you would start charging your normal rate.

You need a normal rate that you can throw out there, regardless what it is so you have a point of reference. Then you can say, I will charge half my normal day rate, plus mileage/expenses, but I would then expect to be compensated per image used in the magazine, or you can accept my full day rate or hourly rate and have the images shot for the assignment without charge for that particular article, etc. etc. etc.

Or what do you think is a fair offer after you have heard my normal day rates?

Leave room for wiggle, keep your copyrights, and good luck.

I think you are probably on the right track with your mileage, fee and then usage per photo....

Wade