Question on D7100 lens choice from defecting Canon owner

Hi Everyone,

After 25 years of owning Canon gear I'm planning a switch to Nikon, the main reasons are not being impressed with the 60D or ageing 7D and I've become tired of waiting for the much rumoured 70D...

The model I am thinking about is the D7100, which I am very impressed with, however switching presents a budget dilemma. Obviously my Canon kit will be redundant overnight and I'll be starting over, plus at the moment I need to watch the funds.

The D7100 is currently available as Body Only or with the "AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR" kit lens. The kit lens is an attractive option budget wise and it gets me off the ground with the range of focal lengths I use most. But... Canon kit lenses are renowned for being cheap and nasty so I wondered whether anyone here can offer feedback on quality and performance of the kit lens?

I'm hoping to get the D7100 in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Nikkor 16-85 is an excellent lens, somewhat better than the 18-105 but a bit more costly.

Hi thanks for the replies. The reviews look ok for a kit lens, the price difference from Body Only is only £130 which looks reasonable value. I'll look into the 16-85, it's another £300 but that might be worth paying the extra now given it's the lens I use the most.

Myself, I would go with the 16-85 instead of the kit lens. It is a great lens with a good feel to the build. Or, get the body and a couple primes. The 50mm is a great lens and cheap to boot.

Hi thanks for the replies. The reviews look ok for a kit lens, the price difference from Body Only is only £130 which looks reasonable value. I'll look into the 16-85, it's another £300 but that might be worth paying the extra now given it's the lens I use the most.

There ya go, the 16-85 is a great walkaround! I found the kit 18-105VR a plastic POS with lots of distortion & CA. That sensor deservers MUCH better glass. :wink:

Real Name
Randy
I can only add that the D7100 is an amazingly good camera.

I picked up the kit lens because that was the only way the store I purchased it from had for options. It was better than I expected and would say it is a good lens. There are better but at a higher cost. So if budget is not an option go for a better lens, but you would probably be happy with the kit lens, too.

Sounds like you need the 16-85 first. But a used 35mm or 50mm prime could hold you over for a while if cash is tight.

Get the body only and a "jack of all trades" Sigma 18-250, I think you can pick up a brand new one for about $450

Here's a shot from today with the combo.

8718556529_3f39be7952_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's a big step making this change so I appreciate the help.

I found an old but very interesting review of the 16 to 85mm lens http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikkor_DX_16-85mm_VR/verdict.shtml. Basically it concludes this lens is a no brainer if you're looking for a lens with a body but there's only marginal benefit for someone wanting to upgrade from the kit lens.

Well based on everyone's views and the review I found I'm going for the 16 to 85mm.

I can only add that the D7100 is an amazingly good camera.

Well it had to be something special to tempt we away from Canon after all this time :Wink: I should have it in my hands within 2 weeks and I can't wait.

Get the body only and a "jack of all trades" Sigma 18-250, I think you can pick up a brand new one for about $450

Here's a shot from today with the combo.

Excellent image, really sharp.

When I've got the D7100 I'll post my first images and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Real Name
Paul
You'll be pleased with the 16-85. It's very good lens.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom