question on filter use

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Jon H, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    Hello all. The other day I got a circular polarizing filter for my D70. I tried it out the other day for the first time, and noticed that I get some vignetting on the photos. I already had a Hoya skylight filter in place and put the polarizing filter on top of it. Is there a way I can get rid of the vignetting without having to take off the skylight filter? Or is it better to just crop the photo after shooting? What do YOU think? Thanks.

2. I'd guess that you are using the 18-70 kit lens shooting on the wide end. and the short answer is no you'll have to take off the skylight filter. When you stack filters vignetting becomes increasingly a problem. That's one of my main issues with the DX lenses, vignetting is back.

Its one of the reasons I went and got the 17-35. I'd have to stack several filters before vignetting becomes a problem since its a non-DX lens.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Remove the skylight filter before attaching the polarizer. Multiple filters give rise to additional reflection of the image light between the pieces of glass, which leads to lower contrast and flare. Many of the best photographers shoot sans filter unless there is a reason to use one (to modify light or protect the lens in a harsh environment.)