Question on flashes...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by JMartin, Aug 29, 2005.

1. JMartin

JMartin Guest

I have a D100 and a SB-80DX flash. I see a lot of the people post that they are using the newer SB-600 and SB-800 flashes, in some cases both as strobes.

Would their be any benefit to using and SB-50DX with my SB-80DX for macro or portrait photography, actually in any circumstance? Can the two even be used like this? The reason I ask is a friend has an SB-50DX he is thinking about selling.

Lastly, if you think buying the SB-50DX, what would be a fair price to pay for it?

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

2. two flashes

yes you can use both, get a 3 pin synchord (eg. SC-18) and you can fire them both at once. You could also get a SC-17 chord to get your flash off camera. I have an 80Dx and use it coupled to my SB-26 flash

3. kjoosten

kjoosten

May 1, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It is actually possible to use an SB-800 wirelessly with the D100. You have to use manual flash, which involves some calculations, but you should be able to wirelessly fire an SB800 with either your SB80DX or the onboard flash.

4. I think you can trigger the SB-50DX wirelessly as well. You need to set it up as a slave. Manual calculations would be required as with the SB-800/600. As for price, I sold one a couple of months ago for $85.

HTH

5. marc

marc Guest

joe,

you can fire an sb800 wireless if mounted to a d100, you can also fire the sb800 from a d100 and other sb800 or 600. however the CLS system only works from the d2h or d2x.

while you may be able to fire an sb800 or 600 using 80dx or 50dx, these flashes are not part of the CLS system and while there flash may fire 800 or 600, you cannot fire 80dx or 50dx wireless. not using nikon CLS.

you of course can wire them together, but i do not think that is what you are asking.

the nikon CLS system is fairly new, works in TTL mode only on d2 cameras and with sb800 and 600.

it is a great system but not foolproof.

flashes need to have some line of sight since the system works by IR sensor.

there are also limitations regarding, some very basic functions.

the system does work and the ttl is very good.
    i sometimes use 4 sb800's and i really like it.

good luck and happy shooting

6. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Not true...

Actually, the Nikon CLS system works perfectly with the D70 as well.