Question on modifying Teleconverters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I had a link once to a site that described how to modify Nikon teleconverters so that you could stack them. I can't find it, and I was wondering if anyone had it??

Thanks,

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Flew ya buildin a 500....lololol

3. smilin at Gale!

4. I have the link twice, so I don't forget where I put it :smile:

Nikon TC Modification

Very simple to do, will most certainly void your warranty. Note, however, that this will allow stacking of the TC-14+TC-20 or the TC-17+TC-20, but not the two smaller ones, or any combination of the three.

I have a few images posted around with the TC-14+TC-20 stacked, and I was quite surprised that they didn't just look like mush :wink:

Is this what you were looking for, Frank?

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    A dewy and flewy lens...
    hummmm very interesting.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gale,

You are a riot, and this time, I am calling the riot police. Dewey and Flewy. Sheesh. :biggrin:

Bill,

That is exactly what I was looking for. I guess I need to read the article (when I get home), but what I want to do is to stack two 1.4's. I don't understand why that wouldn't work. Like I said, guess I should read the instructions.

Thanks!!

7. Nice idea, but won't work. Once you look at the TC-14 and the TC-17, I can't believe I am typing this, you will notice that the front element protudes, so the back element of the second TC cannot fit bit to the mount. The TC-20 is physically different in this respect.

I know about you and me, and what our excuse is, but what the heck is Gaye's, eh????? (excuse that is....)

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    :Angel:

9. Frank - I modified my TC20EII to allow stacking, which was neat to try, but of no real practical application. I find the TC20 alone causes to much image degradation, never mind the TC20 + another TC.

As Bill points out, you can only stack with the TC20.

My advice - don't bother - or buy my TC20EII.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rory,

I have all three of the latest Nikon TC's and I'm about to get a 2nd 1.4 for use with my 2nd D2H (one for the 300 2.8 and one for the 70-200VR). Like you, I find the 2.0 to be pretty soft. I'm not even very impressed by the 1.7. There are times though (like shooting the Eagles) where I need more than 420mm, and I was hoping that 2 1.4's would be better than the 2.0. I knew that it was a long shot to begin with, and now it looks like it isn't even possible.

Guess I'd better keep saving for a 500 f4. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the inputs.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Five thousand dollars , if you can get one for that is a flippin ton of money. WOW

Have you looked into the long Sigma lenses.
    I have seen some great images from the sigma lenses.

(I won't go to b and h and look at prices though :<(( )

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Tell me about it Gale. I've looked, just can't afford (yet :wink:).

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Flewwwwwww

Lots of beans and wennies :>)))

And romen noodles :>)))

14. skipping the 400/2.8 to go to the 500/4 eh??

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

Not at all. If I decide to make the move, the 400 2.8 is still very much in the picture. My problem is, I want them all. :Curved:

16. I think the Sigma stuff is awesome, but Frank's a purist I bet - Nikkor only ;)

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
  18. If Siggy made a 400/2.8 I'd be in trouble...although that 500/4 might earn some negative points all by itself ;)

19. Frank, don't be a wuss, give it a go with the 2.0 anyway :wink: . I don't do it often, but have a couple of times, and maybe I am just lucky and have an exceptional 2.0, but i don't find it all that bad. I'll be happy to send you a link to a couple, you can see what you think. I sure wouldn't do it as a "normal" thing, light loss is horrid of course. Mine are modified in order to work with my Sigma 120-300 and 500 lenses, the "stackability" is just an extra.

I am really surprised that you are not happy with the 1.7 however. I can't see any real quality difference, perhaps I am just blind. Then again, I don't drink coffee so I don't shake too much............:eek: