Question on modifying Teleconverters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I had a link once to a site that described how to modify Nikon teleconverters so that you could stack them. I can't find it, and I was wondering if anyone had it??

Thanks,

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Flew ya buildin a 500....lololol

3. smilin at Gale!

4. I have the link twice, so I don't forget where I put it :smile:

Nikon TC Modification

Very simple to do, will most certainly void your warranty. Note, however, that this will allow stacking of the TC-14+TC-20 or the TC-17+TC-20, but not the two smaller ones, or any combination of the three.

I have a few images posted around with the TC-14+TC-20 stacked, and I was quite surprised that they didn't just look like mush :wink:

Is this what you were looking for, Frank?

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    A dewy and flewy lens...
    hummmm very interesting.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gale,

You are a riot, and this time, I am calling the riot police. Dewey and Flewy. Sheesh. :biggrin:

Bill,

That is exactly what I was looking for. I guess I need to read the article (when I get home), but what I want to do is to stack two 1.4's. I don't understand why that wouldn't work. Like I said, guess I should read the instructions.

Thanks!!

7. Nice idea, but won't work. Once you look at the TC-14 and the TC-17, I can't believe I am typing this, you will notice that the front element protudes, so the back element of the second TC cannot fit bit to the mount. The TC-20 is physically different in this respect.

I know about you and me, and what our excuse is, but what the heck is Gaye's, eh????? (excuse that is....)

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    :Angel:

9. Frank - I modified my TC20EII to allow stacking, which was neat to try, but of no real practical application. I find the TC20 alone causes to much image degradation, never mind the TC20 + another TC.

As Bill points out, you can only stack with the TC20.

My advice - don't bother - or buy my TC20EII.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rory,

I have all three of the latest Nikon TC's and I'm about to get a 2nd 1.4 for use with my 2nd D2H (one for the 300 2.8 and one for the 70-200VR). Like you, I find the 2.0 to be pretty soft. I'm not even very impressed by the 1.7. There are times though (like shooting the Eagles) where I need more than 420mm, and I was hoping that 2 1.4's would be better than the 2.0. I knew that it was a long shot to begin with, and now it looks like it isn't even possible.

Guess I'd better keep saving for a 500 f4. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the inputs.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Five thousand dollars , if you can get one for that is a flippin ton of money. WOW

Have you looked into the long Sigma lenses.
    I have seen some great images from the sigma lenses.

(I won't go to b and h and look at prices though :<(( )

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Tell me about it Gale. I've looked, just can't afford (yet :wink:).

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Flewwwwwww

Lots of beans and wennies :>)))

And romen noodles :>)))

14. skipping the 400/2.8 to go to the 500/4 eh??

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

Not at all. If I decide to make the move, the 400 2.8 is still very much in the picture. My problem is, I want them all. :Curved:

16. I think the Sigma stuff is awesome, but Frank's a purist I bet - Nikkor only ;)

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
  18. If Siggy made a 400/2.8 I'd be in trouble...although that 500/4 might earn some negative points all by itself ;)

19. Frank, don't be a wuss, give it a go with the 2.0 anyway :wink: . I don't do it often, but have a couple of times, and maybe I am just lucky and have an exceptional 2.0, but i don't find it all that bad. I'll be happy to send you a link to a couple, you can see what you think. I sure wouldn't do it as a "normal" thing, light loss is horrid of course. Mine are modified in order to work with my Sigma 120-300 and 500 lenses, the "stackability" is just an extra.

I am really surprised that you are not happy with the 1.7 however. I can't see any real quality difference, perhaps I am just blind. Then again, I don't drink coffee so I don't shake too much............:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.