1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question on Nikon 80-200 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by egliedman, Aug 18, 2009.

1. I am looking to get this lens at some point soon (hopefully)..... is there a quality difference in the final image from the older versions of this lens compared to the newest model:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-history.htm

The newest model goes for about 1000 on keh (af-d with tripod mount)
    the second newest model goes for about 750 (af-d no mount, pull zoom)
    and the older version goes for about 500 (af pull zoom)

I really would prefer the af-d with tripod mount but might be out of my price range.

2. There are many posts on this board regarding this lens, suffice it to say, all versions of this lens are sharp, which version you get of course depends entirely on you're preferences. I owned the older D version push pull and it was a wonderful lens, a wee bit slow on the focusing but tack sharp. The newer two ring versions will focus faster, the AF-S being the fastest and also the most expensive.

3. I got the AF-D with tripod mount for Christmas last year, and as a judge friend of mine would say: "Let me indicate this" To me the IQ is all that and the focus speed is up there as well. Well worth the money. Good luck. You will be satisfied.

4. a.dickens

a.dickens

Oct 6, 2008
    Atlanta
    I've used the 70-200 a lot and own a 80-200 (the OLD push pull version). I cannot tell a difference in the shots from each lens.

Except that my 80-200 doesn't vignette. JUST KIDDING. I haven't shot ff with it.

Buy the 80-200 and pocket the rest.

5. thanks for the info guys.... very helpful

6. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    +1

AF-D / 2 ring is a great lens.

shot wide open
    3553052102_8c5cbb6a38_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

At f/4.
    3530387610_3977d26a8e_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. splitpin

splitpin

Jul 29, 2009
    England
    great footy shots lovely and clear

9. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Looks great Jeff!

10. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    I have Push pull "D" version. The early push pull non D was supposed to focus even slower. I had a twin ring a couple years ago, and it focused just a little faster than this one--not a big difference in my opinion. I got mine for $500 locally, I'm happy with it. I really want the new AFS VRII but after looking at the price...I'll wait until I really need it (perhaps if I am missing too many sports pictures or need to use a TC).

Pretty awesome at F2.8 from 80 to 150mm; 200mm needs F4.0 to make it really sing.

F4.0
    3819186787_f27dd13a64_b.jpg

3819992490_443361a82b_b.jpg

3714517683_8d8cf6a4d1_b.jpg

3714516331_f57c5acc74_b.jpg

200mm at F2.8
    3714068490_b5f0ccd9cc_b.jpg

11. f_bayonet

f_bayonet

Aug 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    Tack sharp

3835629165_80a2ff9fd7_o.png

The 80-200mm f2.8 ED-IF D (two rings, tripod mount) is a superb lens. It is wickedly sharp and focuses fast with the right camera. My F-5 and D2x handle it like a 50mm.

I've seen it posted on different forums that it's soft @ 200mm, but I've never experienced it. Get yourself a good filter (L1BC) and you'll never regret buying this lens.

It is a well made, beefy lens that can be hand held with the proper technique. Strapping it onto your camera will give you that pride of ownership feeling that will inspire you. I know it does me.

Here's a shot taken with an F-5, Kodachrome 64 @ 200mm, wide open at f2.8. Low winter lighting, dark background and moving fast. The lens nailed it perfectly.

12. Great shots...thanks for sharing.

13. great shots alan! i love mine as well...

14. All 80-200's are FX lenses and will not vignette with a full frame body. heye were designed for 35 mm film, which is ever so slightly large than the FF FX digital! I have the AFS version--and no drop in the price for the 70-200 VR will make me give it up!!!!!!

15. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Just got mine a couple days ago (2-ringer). Very sweet lens - images have clarity that you just don't get with consumer grade lenses.

Anyone know the best way to use it for close-ups - does a PK-13 work?

Steve

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.