Question on Northern NM (no photos yet)

Real Name
Alex
A Canadian friend of mine has been going to a Time Share in Santa Fe for a month every year since 1993. He had to cancel 2020 and unfortunately 2021 too, as Canada is slow on vaccination.

I offered to take a week off his hands. Very reasonable cost and a beautiful house near downtown (I visited with them three years ago).

I plan to stay a week so will have time for Santa Fe and day trips in surroundings (maybe 2 hours away each leg).
I have been to some of hte museums and to the State House already. I plan to visit the zoo in Albuquerque too. as I visit every zoo I can (don't you know it already?)

Can the experts here recommend, (from a photography standpoint):
  • Pueblos
  • Nice towns (I have been to Madrid and Bandelier-Los Alamos in the previous trip).
  • Taos?
  • Scenic areas to do simple short hikes (aint 25 no more) and be able to shoot landscapes?
Lastly, if anybody is interested, my friend would love to sublet the last 3 weeks of July 2021 in weekly installments as I am taking the week from June 25 to July 2nd. Place has two bedrooms. If interested PM me. Very good location at a very reasonable cost.

Real Name
Ken
I am not able to elaborate on some ideas right now, but I will try to post some suggestions from our trip a few years ago. But I will say that Madrid is an "interesting" little town, and you will probably like it as a photographer.

--Ken

Have you been to Valle Grande west of Los Alamos? It is a very beautiful valley formed in a volcanic caldera. There are several very scenic short hikes in that area, too.

I also recommend Taos and Taos Pueblo.

I had work at Los Almos that got me to Santa Fe frequently. My favorite place to visit was Chimayo. About 30 minutes from Santa Fe, it's like another world. El Santuario de Chimayo is worth a visit for a photo, the weaving shops in the area used to let us in to talk to the weavers, I'd ask before taking photos of them. Santa Fe has some great places to eat, but don't pass up an opportunity to eat at Rancho de Chimayo. Best sopapias I've found. You can take the high road from Chimayo to Taos, it's a quiet drive thru some beautiful scenery. I'd check into what the current covid restrictions are, I got a note yesterday from a friend who lives there that Santa Fe county is in "turquoise level" with Taos at "green level". I have no idea what these mean, but he thought it was positive news.

Real Name
Ken St John
We visited the area a couple of years ago and it's really beautiful. One place we really enjoyed is Valles Caldera National Monument. Not crowded and really a great getaway. Driving through Los Alamos was rather interesting as well.
Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 3.18.59 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If you ever watched a series on Netflix called Longmire, all of the outdoor shots were taken in this area of NM (even though the series is supposedly set in Wyoming). If you haven't seen it, you might want to watch a few episodes to get a sense of what the countryside looks like. (For example, the "hero" Sheriff Walt Longmire's home is actually a historic cabin inside the Valles Caldera preserve.)

Ken

Here are some possibilities...
  • Pecos Pueblo Mission Church at Pecos National Historic Park (not very far from Santa Fe)
  • ABQ Zoo is great for photography
  • Santa Fe National Cemetery
  • Earthship Biotecture (near Taos)
  • Churches of Santa Fe--San Miguel Chapel, St. Francis Cathedral, San Lorenzo Church, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Loretto Chapel
  • Taos Pueblo
  • The High Road to Taos
  • San Francisco de Asis Mission Church near Taos
  • Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque
  • San Felipe de Neri Church and Old Town Plaza in Albuquerque
  • Bandelier National Monument (50 minute drive)
  • Tent Rocks (50 minutes)
  • Canyon Road in Santa Fe
  • New Mexico State Capitol
These are the places I visited during my stays. If you wish to view some of the photographs from those trips for ideas on locations, here are the two links:

2012 Trip
https://www.nagelphotography.com/p649031608

2019 Trip
https://www.nagelphotography.com/p900927884

I hope this helps. It's an amazing place to go for photography.

Glenn

Real Name
Alex
Thanks. Noted.

I have been to Bandelier, the churches of Santa Fe and AQB Zoo though I was planning to visit the zoo again as it has been 25 years to that one.

The rest I have not seen.

Real Name
Ken
I had work at Los Almos that got me to Santa Fe frequently. My favorite place to visit was Chimayo. About 30 minutes from Santa Fe, it's like another world. El Santuario de Chimayo is worth a visit for a photo, the weaving shops in the area used to let us in to talk to the weavers, I'd ask before taking photos of them. Santa Fe has some great places to eat, but don't pass up an opportunity to eat at Rancho de Chimayo. Best sopapias I've found. You can take the high road from Chimayo to Taos, it's a quiet drive thru some beautiful scenery. I'd check into what the current covid restrictions are, I got a note yesterday from a friend who lives there that Santa Fe county is in "turquoise level" with Taos at "green level". I have no idea what these mean, but he thought it was positive news.
I was going to mention Chimayo for the food and woven goods, but Rick beat me to it. Santa Fe at night is quite beautiful and some areas are nicely lit. It is not necessarily a photographic site, but I would recommend a visit to the O'Keeffe museum if you have not been there before. The work is quite inspiring and as is her story, especially given who she was married to. I would also recommend time in ABQ if you get a chance. There is still a bit of photogenic neon and architecture on the old Rt. 66 and the the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center is interesting and has unusual architecture.

But if time permitted, I would suggest heading up north on 550 toward Farmington. The drive to Toadlena Trading Post is interesting and there are amazing weavings for sale. And if you are lucky, you might be able to see Shiprock Formation at sunset.

Safe travels,

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom