Question on pbase.........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAVE VAN, Oct 21, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have been experiencing a large number of hits in the last couple of days on one of my galleries. It happens to be the one about my son. I don't show any camera or lens info so I know that isn't linking the gallery from the camera database. I also have direct linking disabled. Being it is a gallery about one of my children I am nervous where all the hits are coming from. I really don't want to lock the gallery because I have been able to reach out to many families with children who have similar physical issues. Is there any way I can find out where the traffic is coming from? I am sure that a link to this gallery has been posted somewhere and it makes me nervous not knowing where the source is.
    Thanks,

2. BLV

BLV

Jul 14, 2005
    NYC
    If the photos are in a public gallery, that gallery will appear under RECENT GALLERIES on pbase, so that is most likely where all of the hits are coming from.

3. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Elena,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I realize that,but I haven't changed or edited the gallery in quite some time so it shouldn't show up on the "recent galleries" section.

4. BLV

BLV

Jul 14, 2005
    NYC
    Dave, then people might be stumbling upon the gallery b/c it's coming up through random photos on PBase. Maybe someone liked your gallery, placed a vote on it and it's popping up more often?

Also, couldn't the people from the Cafe be visiting? Have you googled the address to that gallery? It might be coming up if it was posted somewhere.

You can install SiteMeter and that way you'll see the IP, location of the person, along with which page/gallery they've entered/exited through.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
  5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    This is the one shortcoming of PBase, the fact that you can't tell _where_ your images are being viewed from. And it's more of an issue for direct-linking (which I do have enabled since a big part of my reason for having PBase galleries is to be able to link to them from forums such as this one).

If you have direct linking disabled, then they must be following a link directly to the gallery page. Maybe you can do a web search (google et al) for the URL of that gallery and see who might be linking to it?

6. BLV

BLV

Jul 14, 2005
    NYC
    If you have a counter installed, you can. But I doubt there's a photo storage site out there which can tell you exactly where the hits are coming from, ie website or where the links have been posted and not just IP & company name.

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't know what you mean when you say "counter", are you talking about the standard "page views/direct links" stats at the bottom of each page, or something different?

Web servers _can_ tell the URL a user is coming from when they hit your page or view your image, it's just the PBase doesn't expose that information to its members. In the case of regular page views I'm really not too concerned. But for direct links I'd like to be able to distinguish between my own direct links (say in a forum message) versus somebody who may be using an image improperly.

EDIT: Elena, just saw you metion above about SiteMeter, I assume that's the counter you were talking about. Can this be used with PBase? Any additional info you can tell me about SiteMeter or similar would be appreciated. I see that one of the anti-spyware packages I use has configured SiteMeter.com as a "restricted site", are they associated with adware/spyware?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
  8. BLV

BLV

Jul 14, 2005
    NYC
    Counter is something you install separately, which will give you an IP, company name, location, entry/exit page, length of visit + OS the person's running.

That's why you install a counter, which gives you a code that you insert into each gallery & into each image. Visit SiteMeter.com or SiteStats.com ExtremeTracking.com for more info.

9. BLV

BLV

Jul 14, 2005
    NYC
    I've been using it with Pbase for the past year and never had any ad/spyware problems.

Let me know what additional info you'd like.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Oops, looks like we were posting past each other. I see you've already answered some of my questions.

OK two more quick questions. 1) Do you have to modify the HTML for each page to use this, and 2) Will it give you info on direct-linked images or just page views?

Thanks,

11. BLV

BLV

Jul 14, 2005
    NYC
    You have to enter the code into the CAPTION box of each image. That shouldn't be a problem since you can copy the code into the box once while having selected all of the images under EDIT GALLERY. Code also goes into the box DESCRIPTION under EDIT GALLERY.

You will see the link of image and/or gallery the person has entered/exited through, but so far all of the referring pages come up as "unknown". As a matter of fact, I'm going to email their support to find out why.

12. Elena, Where can I find this SiteMeter? Thanks

13. Hi Dave,

I just visited your site to see the webpage on your son and he sure is a champ going through all he has been through. I'm sure you and your wife are so very proud of him. I can see how these pictures explain to other parents what goes on behind the scenes of this condition.

As for the direct links, I agree with Elena that the reason there are so many are because of the page coming up in rotation and many are reading it because it may be parents having the same problems and maybe it was passed on to other parents and so on plus you do have to take into account that many members here may have visited it as well just like me.

Don't stress yourself all out over it. I am sure it is nothing to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2005
  14. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Actually it was Dave who started the thread and mentioned the gallery pages regarding his son's (I agree though, really touching story).

I just barged into his thread to ask some questions of my own since it's something I too have been wondering about. :redface:

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Elena, thanks for all the info. If you hear back from them on the referrer issue let us know.

Thanks again,

16. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Melissa,
    We have met some amazing people through this gallery and have made some lasting friendships. I'm sure its ok, its just this week the traffic has increased 10X what it normally is.

17. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Elena, Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. :smile:

18. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Panos,

Webstats4u FAQ says it will install pop-under ads on your site, do you find that objectionable? One of the things I really like about PBase is no ads, and no popups at all. I'd hate to subject users to ads just to get a free counter; I'd rather pay a fee for the counter.

19. Jeff, let 'em claim as they wish... you can always tweak the codex and have NO popus, ads, anything...

check for yourself... do you see any? Just a small icon on top-left corner, which you can "hide" too, if you want to... :wink:
    http://www.pbase.com/pkazan/