1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question on sending lenses to Sigma

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dengar, Jul 18, 2008.

1. I called Sigma for my 30mm 1.4 which I think needs to be calibrated just a bit. They just gave me the address and told me to send it...no RMA# or anything. Im a little nervous about doing this, did anyone else have this experience?

2. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Same thing here. Send it with a delivery confirmation. They actually had mine back in a very reasonable time. I live in Los Angeles, sent it ground to NY and back in 12 days.

Although, it would be nice to have an RMA.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Well, RMA is "return merchandise authorizatiion" and you aren't returning for some kind of credit you are sending it in for service. I have sent 2 lenses in to Sigma and 3 things into Nikon over the last 3 years. Never had a number or a problem.

4. I really must say that Sigma LI is very responsible and cooperative. I have dealt with them on numerous occasions, and have personally went their a few times.

The service manager's name is Addy(spelling?). He is Japanese and very cordial. A gentleman named Tom is another good contact there. And the female receptionists are all nice.

As with Nikon, because they are very nice, it does not mean that your item will be corrected. And/or, it may take a couple of attempts. But they are honest and helpful. You may also want to consider sending your lens and body in together, it is helpful. To my understanding they do NOT touch your Nikon body, just use it for a better calibration. Talk to the girls, or Tom or Addy to confirm this about the body.

I would UPS your lens. Keep on top of it. call them to confirm its arrival.

Good Luck,

Mike

5. They have a service form on their website that you can fill out and submit.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigmaonlinemall/ebay_service.asp

Near the bottom of the page there is a link to Sigma Service Request Form. Click on this link print and fill out the information to send in with your lens. You will most likely have the lens back in about a week after they receive it. If you are worried about being able to track it, send it by UPS or FedEx as you will have a tracking number to follow it to the Sigma repair facility.

I had sent a lens in and they were very easy to deal with. I was even able to speak with the technician which was surprising.

6. I've sent in a couple of lenses to Sigma. Both times, I wrote a letter outlining the conversation I had with their Customer Service group as well as the issue I wanted addressed. Just to be safe, I put a small slip of paper in the lens box with my name, phone number, email address, and the issue with the lens in case the letter got separated from the lens. In both instances, the lens came back to me in a little over a week. I'm very happy with Sigma's customer service!

7. Thanks everyone, I feel alot better now.

8. Well, its been over 1 month later and I finally sent it off, I hope it makes it back ok :) 

9. sergeantcigar

sergeantcigar

Jan 3, 2007
    USA
    I have sent two lenses to Sigma. The 1st was for a re-chip, which came back in less than 2 weeks. The other was for a focus adjustment - it was closer to a month, but it came back postage paid, and no charge. I was the 2nd owner of the lens, and they asked no questions; they just fixed it for free. Obviously, I'm very satisfied with their service.

10. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Just sent and received my lens from Sigma. It was returned with no focusing issues found. I think if you follow the instructions on their website which tells you what to include with the lens, you should be ok. The only thing they don't specify is if you should include the caps with it, something Nikon does *not* want. They just want the lens and that's it. My lens was sent to the Georgia facility from Nashville, and the turn around time was less than 10 days.

11. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    took 4+ weeks for my 150 2.8 and it still has problems

12. Sigma UK are fab.

They replaced a Sigma 150mm within one week with a brand new lens. Very friendly on the phone (they will engage in a technical discussion, and don't fob you off) and they are happy to look at controlled sample images and will happily say "yeah, its back focusing, send it in!" (unlike Nikon who are very cagey and won't admit anything!)

I really like Sigma - great lenses, and they stand behind them should you be unlucky enough to have a problem.

13. Ok I just got it back so it took 3 weeks. I have to take a couple of more pics but the focus looks spot-on.

14. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    Did you sent it in sigma case, or just wrap it in bubblewrap? Did you include Sigma warranty card or (and) copy of the receipt?

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    When I sent in my 10-20 for calibration, it took a total of 7 days to get it back, and that's including the shipping time. I called them once it arrived in their service center and explained to them that I needed it back ASAP before going on a trip. I even told them I would pay to expedite the return shipment. I gave it 2 days and I called them again to check the status and they said it had just been calibrated and is shipping out next day air via UPS, free of charge. I was taken aback. Not because I've had a previous negative experience with Sigma Service, but I was just amazed at the turnaround time and willingness to go above and beyond to expedite the return shipping. All I had to send in was a photocopy of the purchase receipt. BTW, this was at the Service Center in Georgia :smile:

16. I sent it in the zipped case, inside the box w/the lens cap. Everything came back fine. Warranty card and copy of receipt as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  17. Well upon further review, I still can't seem to get good focus with this lens. I dont think its the lens, I think its my technique because sometimes I get focus and other times I do not. Also Im not used to the color rendition it puts out, it looks nice....but just different compared to my nikon lenses, so I think im going to put it up in the FS forum. Thanks all for you help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.