Question on Sigma 500

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by GaryW, Jan 3, 2006.

1. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I have decided that I cannot afford a Nikon 500mm f4. Even used.

So, I have set my sights on the Sigma 500mm f4.5. Every review that I have read is positive and so I feel pretty good about the lens.

BUT, there are two Sigma 500's. One is a new "DG" type, and one is not. The price difference is $700 ($2999 vs. $3699). From what I have read, the "DG" glass coating is mostly hype, and not worth the difference.

My question is: Is the "DG" lens a replacement for the older model? SIGMA4LESS.COM says they have the older one on order, but when I pressed the salesperson, she did not know if the DG is a replacement and whether they will get a shipment of the older models.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Gary, I was told by Sigma, take THAT for what it is worth :wink: , that the DG was replacing the non-DG version. I believe that the website now only lists the DG version. I was also told by Sigma that the coating was so the lens would work "better", but they could not quantify, with Digital and that it would also reduce flare. When I pressed them, the only further info I could get was that the coating would reduce internal reflections, so on and so forth.

Now, both Jim Thiel and I have the "older" non-DG version and neither of us are unhappy with them. I have not shot with anyone yet who has the DG version, but without some clear indication of what I am getting for my $700 I wouldn't bite for the extra if I didn't have to.

3. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Bill,

Thanks for the post. You and I have e-mailed each other today, and you convinced me that the Sigma is the way to go. I also talked to Ron Resnick on the phone today, and he said, at $3000, the Sigma would be a good investment.

BUT, at $3,700 for the "DG", I might want to try for a used Nikon 500mm. I am hoping that sigma4less.com will get some non-DG lenses in so I can get the lower price.

Thanks for your continued help.

Gary

4. AHA! I wondered why I was seeing 2 folks asking on the same day, I thought I was going Schizo or something :eek:

Obviosly, I totally agree with Ron. I got mine new for $2700 and Jim got a better did than I did. At $3700, however, I'd pop the added $800 or so for a used Nikon AFS myself. Or, if you find a Nikon for, say, $3200 used I'll sell you MY Sigma for $2600 and buy the Nikon and save you all that money :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm not sure what the Sigma rationale is for the new price, I believe MSRP is $4200, but I think that many folks would opt for a used Nikon for a few dollars more rather than a new Sigma.

If those folks do have one of the older ones they can get hold of, that would be a good deal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.