Question on Sigma 500

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by GaryW, Jan 3, 2006.

1. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I have decided that I cannot afford a Nikon 500mm f4. Even used.

So, I have set my sights on the Sigma 500mm f4.5. Every review that I have read is positive and so I feel pretty good about the lens.

BUT, there are two Sigma 500's. One is a new "DG" type, and one is not. The price difference is $700 ($2999 vs. $3699). From what I have read, the "DG" glass coating is mostly hype, and not worth the difference.

My question is: Is the "DG" lens a replacement for the older model? SIGMA4LESS.COM says they have the older one on order, but when I pressed the salesperson, she did not know if the DG is a replacement and whether they will get a shipment of the older models.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Gary, I was told by Sigma, take THAT for what it is worth :wink: , that the DG was replacing the non-DG version. I believe that the website now only lists the DG version. I was also told by Sigma that the coating was so the lens would work "better", but they could not quantify, with Digital and that it would also reduce flare. When I pressed them, the only further info I could get was that the coating would reduce internal reflections, so on and so forth.

Now, both Jim Thiel and I have the "older" non-DG version and neither of us are unhappy with them. I have not shot with anyone yet who has the DG version, but without some clear indication of what I am getting for my $700 I wouldn't bite for the extra if I didn't have to.

3. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Bill,

Thanks for the post. You and I have e-mailed each other today, and you convinced me that the Sigma is the way to go. I also talked to Ron Resnick on the phone today, and he said, at $3000, the Sigma would be a good investment.

BUT, at $3,700 for the "DG", I might want to try for a used Nikon 500mm. I am hoping that sigma4less.com will get some non-DG lenses in so I can get the lower price.

Thanks for your continued help.

Gary

4. AHA! I wondered why I was seeing 2 folks asking on the same day, I thought I was going Schizo or something :eek:

Obviosly, I totally agree with Ron. I got mine new for $2700 and Jim got a better did than I did. At $3700, however, I'd pop the added $800 or so for a used Nikon AFS myself. Or, if you find a Nikon for, say, $3200 used I'll sell you MY Sigma for $2600 and buy the Nikon and save you all that money :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm not sure what the Sigma rationale is for the new price, I believe MSRP is $4200, but I think that many folks would opt for a used Nikon for a few dollars more rather than a new Sigma.

If those folks do have one of the older ones they can get hold of, that would be a good deal.