Question on Smugmug pro account....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAVE VAN, Sep 7, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    My wife and some friends and relatives have been pressuring me lately to try and sell some of my photos. My sister-in-law has even volunteered to man the booth at an upcoming craft show in her town. I have went to a lot of craft shows recently to get an idea of the types of images and also sizes and pricing of whats being offered. I first have to say that I don't really believe that my photos are that good and I can't see there being that much of a demand for them. My dilema is that I don't want to invest a huge amount of money in prints and matting to have an inventory for craft shows and then not sell any. I was investigating Smugmug and I saw that they have an option to buy prints directly from your site if you have a Pro account. I was wondering if anyone here was using this feature and how they were making out. Also I'm a little confused on the size of the image that is uploaded. Doesn't the available print size have to relate to the proportions of the original image? For an example a 4 x 6 print isn't the same ratio as an 8 x 10. Does the site randomly crop images to produce prints? I saw that they offer a crop option for the buyer but I don't think most people would or could do this.
    Any advise on getting into a part time buissness to maybe make a little money to offset some of my expenses? Please excuse spelling errors as my wife says that I am the world's worst speller. (I do miss the spell check feature)

2. Dave, I do not have a Smug Mug account but do know some people that have sold some prints that way. Just keep in mind that most of those that frequent such sites are photographers, not the best market for making sales.

On the topic of spelling, I use a simple program that can be downloaded free at: http:/www.iespell.com
    It is much easier to use than the on site spell check that we previously used.

3. I have a smugmug professional account. The only way this site will generate sales for you is if you are adept at marketing and directing potential buyers to your site. You will not get a lot of independent traffic through smugmug which is populated by a nice group of photographers.

The printing options should not be a problem. I think most people can figure out the option of seeing how you print will look before you buy it.

Overall, smugmug is an easy to use site which allows amateurs like me to have professional looking sites. I do know several people who use the site successfully for sales, but they direct their clients to the site for purchases.

mitch

4. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Dave

I used to have a smugmug pro account and closed it. I like smugmug, but the key to your sales is almost always marketing. You are not going to get random sales from smugmug, you need to market your images well.

Regarding crop size, you can remove all sizes that are odd. For instance, you can keep only 4x6, 12x18 and 20x30 as print sizes for your photos. You can remove all the other weird sizes to remove the crop issue.

5. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the reply Mitch. Yes, I was planning on directing people to the site by advertising. I like the ability to set up my own site and address. I am just kicking around some ideas. I have had 150,000 hits on my pbase site in 10 months. If I had had 100 buys from those hits I would be satisfied. The race that I shot over the weekend I was talking to a pro photographer there,
    http://kbsracingphotos.com/
    And he said that after an event he would on average see $1000.00 in sales from local racers who want to buy photos of their cars. He was a nice guy, but check out his site and let me know what you think of his photos.
    I am thinking of basicly doing the same kind of thing but offering more photo subjects.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
  6. If that were my competition I would not worry too much. Your images are far superior to those.

7. Dave,
    I agree with Gordon, your shots are much better than this other fellow's. One of his has the largest dust spot I think I've ever seen posted on the web! :eek:

Just get the word out at these events and direct the flow to whatever site you set up.

Good luck,
    mitch

8. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the comments. I really wasn't trying to put this guys work down as he has been doing it for 12 years and is actually pretty well known in the local racing circles. I am also not looking at stealing buisness from him either. I will get working on this and I may be asking for some more input as I go. Thanks again. (By the way he does use Canon equipment)