1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question on Speedotron. Help.

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Romeo, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Romeo

Romeo

May 31, 2008
    TP, IL
    A quick question for the studio lighting gurus. I am shooting products now and I am using Speedotron with 2 heads and an AB 400. Then I have a Ebay radio trigger. The Speedotron is very old and was on storage for many years prior to me using them. They have been working fine for the past 2 years till just recently. My problem is the heads would not fire consistently. Head 1 would fire at less than full power 1 in every 10-15 pops. Head 2 would do the same but at lesser frequency like around 1 in every 20-25 pops. The problem alternates from head to head. I give it plenty of time to recycle so thats not the issue. What is the problem? Is the power pack going bad?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Tom Young

Tom Young

Aug 10, 2007
    Chicago
    It sounds like the capicitors have just about had it. Especially after having been stored a long time without use. It may just be a matter of having them "re-formed" rather than replaced, but there's a lot of current involved and they do have a habit of going out with a real bang sometimes. It's best to err on the side of caution, especially with the older brown line units as they didn't come with a lot of the safety features that more modern systems have.

Since your in the Chicago suburbs, just give Speedotron a call. They're in Chicago at Jackson & Racine (Above Helix).
    (312) 421-4050

Good luck!

3. Romeo

Romeo

May 31, 2008
    TP, IL
    Thanks Tom. I will give them a call.

4. papa85

papa85 Guest

Hi Romeo, i live in St. Charles IL. . I also have 4 Brown Speedotrons. One time I had a problem and got is serviced at Helex Camera in Chicago. They will fix them as you wait, great service. Awesome strobes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.