Question on Win7 to Win 10 Update

Real Name
Ken
While I have a laptop that came with Win10 installed, my desktop machine came with Win7 and I had been putting off an update mostly due to time since my laptop demonstrated that Win10 was not as bad as I had initially expected. I replaced my desktop's platter drive at purchase with a Samsung SSD and have been happy with its performance. As I have a very old laptop that is no longer in use that also has the same SSD, my thought was to wipe it, install its drive in the desktop in lieu of the current one and then do a clean install. Clean install are always a good idea, and as my desktop had some OS issues a number of months ago, it seemed like the best path forward, although the OS has been working fine of recent. One big reason why this has not yet happened is that I am just not excited about having to reinstall all of my software on the new drive. But, I had an idea that I wanted to run by folks here for some input.

My Win10 laptop had some update issues that could not be solved, so I ended up doing a reinstall/version update that seemed to take care of the issue at hand. I was initially told that doing an reinstall would cost me my installed apps, but this article guided me through it without losing the apps and everything seemed to go smoothly - https://www.experts-exchange.com/ar...s-10-Answers-to-commonly-asked-questions.html . This led me to thinking that if my problematic OS could be reinstalled, then perhaps it might be worth doing an update to the existing drive, knowing that I can either run this same program or do a clean install if things go sideways. It would save me a lot of hassle and time, and I could sure use the latter as I am behind on a number of projects that need Win10 on the machine. Any compelling reason not to try and do an upgrade in place rather than a clean install that I should strongly consider? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I would do as follows.
1. I wouldn't bother using the other drive or doing a clean install.
2. Make an image backup of the current drive with Win 7 and the apps and everything, to an external drive, using Macrium Reflect (free version).
3. Do the upgrade to Win 10.
4. If it all goes wrong, simply restore from the image backup (20 minutes).
None of my five systems had a clean install. While it would be nice and tidy, the upgrade install effectively gives you a clean operating system anyway. If an app has problems, uninstall it and reinstall it. But I have never had to do this.

Since you missed out on using the free upgrade offer that lasted a year you will probably need a new Win 10 license.

Real Name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would do as follows.
1. I wouldn't bother using the other drive or doing a clean install.
2. Make an image backup of the current drive with Win 7 and the apps and everything, to an external drive, using Macrium Reflect (free version).
3. Do the upgrade to Win 10.
4. If it all goes wrong, simply restore from the image backup (20 minutes).
None of my five systems had a clean install. While it would be nice and tidy, the upgrade install effectively gives you a clean operating system anyway. If an app has problems, uninstall it and reinstall it. But I have never had to do this.

Since you missed out on using the free upgrade offer that lasted a year you will probably need a new Win 10 license.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the advice. I had planned to do a backup (currently using AEOMI) and you confirmed that the install does give me a clean system (although I suspect the registry does carry forward in some form). The machine came with a Win 10 license but Win 7 installed so I should be good to go without having to buy a new license.

Thanks,

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the advice. I had planned to do a backup (currently using AEOMI) and you confirmed that the install does give me a clean system (although I suspect the registry does carry forward in some form). The machine came with a Win 10 license but Win 7 installed so I should be good to go without having to buy a new license.

Thanks,

--Ken
Yes, the parts of the registry containing information put there by installed apps will be retained, allowed your apps to run correctly.

Good luck with the install - do let us know how you get on.

Real Name
Ken
Yes, the parts of the registry containing information put there by installed apps will be retained, allowed your apps to run correctly.

May not be able to do it for a week or two, but will report back.

Thanks,

--Ken

Real Name
Ken

Backed up the drive and ran the update this evening. It went off without a hitch, so I am glad for that. I am sure there will be some apps that need to be updated, but I am pleased so far. Thanks again for your advice and assistance, Richard!

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
Good. Let's check you are activated.
If you go to Settings/System/About then press System Info link at top right to get an actual statement that you are activated.
Control Panel/System takes you to the same place.
I did check after installation. They old product key (actually a Win10 license with Win7 downgrade rights) carried forward and the new OS reads as activated. If I had known this was a good option, I would have done the upgrade months ago.

Thanks again,

--Ken

The free upgrade is still active. I just used the media creation tool to install Windows 10 on my wife's machine last night (clean install) and the new OS activated without a complaint using the old product key.

Read about it here.

If you've been on the fence about moving on from Windows 8, or especially 7, now's the time to do it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom