Question: Phottix Odin II and new Juno compatibility?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Fallys, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:40 PM.

1. Fallys

Fallys

Apr 27, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    About 8 months ago I bought the Odin II and Odin II receiver for my SB800 (since the D500 doesn't have a pop-up flash to trigger the SB800 on Remote. My idea was to buy into a brand, possibly adding the Mitros+ flashes as an affordable alternative to used SB800/SB700s. That said, I'd need to buy additional Odin II receivers to pair with those flash units if I stayed with Nikon flashes. That would also put me in about $100 more than just a Mitros+ flash.

So I need some help with understanding the EcoSystem. My goal is to control everything from the camera, using the Odin II transmitter to adjust my power levels on the flashes. My local camera store isn't particularly helpful with any off camera flash questions, so I plead for assistance from your collective experience.

My understanding is the following:
    1. Flash output with SB800 mounted on Odin II receiver + Mitros+ flash ($299.99 USD) would be adjustable from Odin II transmitter.
    2. Flash output with SB800 mounted on Odin II receiver + LP180R flash ($229.99 USD) would be adjustable from Odin II transmitter.
    3. Flash output with SB800 mounted on Odin II receiver + Phottix Juno flash ($130 USD). SB800 is adjustable, but Juno is fully-manual, firing from the Odin II transmitter signal, just no adjustable power output at camera.

Does that sound right? If the Junos could be controlled from the Odin II, that would be awesome. However, they are Ares II triggers built in and those work seamlessly with the Stratto IIs. I just wish Phottix would consolidate triggers into one system. I feel like I bought the Cadillac when the (insert mid-range cost vehicle here) would do.

Thank you,

Scott

2. I use Odin's with SB800's and have complete faith in them. I'm not familiar with Juno, but "think" the rest is true--though I have no experience with them. Phottix has advanced fast and needs to work on backwards compatibility. A lot of their capability is hidden by the "marketesse" they adopt.

3. Fallys

Fallys

Apr 27, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thank you Nick. If possible and upon your availability, when I get a chance to perform some tests, I'd like to PM you offline as I have had some challenges with the Odin II/SB800 pairing.

4. That would be fine, Fally.