Question re Continous Servo AF on D2X & H

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Steve S, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    (this is an x-post from DPR)
    I'm finding it impossible to get a positive focus lock using Continous Servo Autofocus on both my D2X & H. I can't seem to get a good lock on a goose in low light from about 200+ ft away. In doing some testing, I found that the focus lock indicator blinks, and never gets a positive focus lock, with the front & back focus arrows and the lock indicator continously blinking. This is happening whether it's set on Single Focus point or one of the Tracking Focus selections. It's doing this even with my D2X (w/200-400VR+TC 1.4) mounted on tripod, aiming at a static object, I did this same test using my D2H (w/70-200VR), handheld this time, with the same results. Is this normal? When I use the Single Servo Autofocus, it locks on just fine. fwiw, these little tests were done in very low lighting conditions if that makes any difference.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm interested in this too so

BUMP!

I seem to have this problem on my d2h but its probably me.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I almost always shoot AF-S , Center Area, Single area...not dymanic.

I can't get a shot to lock in focus to save my life in AF-C. I'm wondering if I'm not just using it correctly as it should work for shooting moving targets.

I think that we neeed to get Ron to chime in on this one.

4. Hi Steve try this. Set it on continuous focus, but have the camera set to fire once it focus locks. Also try using the grouped focus brackets and set them to focus on closest subject. Working in my biz, these setting have worked really well for me, especially during times when I only have a split second to get a shot!

5. Hi Steve,

We spoke about this on the phone already, but for the sake of the thread I'll address it here too.

At the distance you were from the Canada Goose (200ft+), in the conditions (low-contrast, snowy scene), it's quite likely that there was too little contrast between the part of the goose you were attempting to lock on and the background for the camera to lock, or too little of the goose in the focusing reticle (vs. background) due to the distance (e.g. you were trying to focus on the head/neck). The best way to handle this sort of situation would be to lock on the back of the goose, where the dark feathers provide a strong contrast to the background. Place a dark part of the goose inside the focusing reticle at a point on the goose where there is a strong contrast with the background (e.g. a lighter area of background), or if the background is nearly as dark as the darker part of the goose, place the reticle on a lighter part of the goose (e.g. the belly) where there is a contrast with the darker background. You'll then get a lock.

Ron

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for the reaffirmation, but

Is it considered "normal" for the Continuous Servo Focus mode to constantly "hunt" in normal, good lighting conditons, even when on a tripod, pointing at a stationary object?

7. With an absolutely stationary target and a solid mount, no wind-induced movement of the tripod and unchanging light/shadows, the focus should lock and hold. If any of the above conditions are not met it's possible (and likely) that the camera will continuously micro-adjust focus.

Ron