Question re: cropping shots for online services

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by lisagott, Aug 27, 2008.

1. lisagott

lisagott

Apr 1, 2008
    OH
    As part of your post processing in preparation for having images available for purchase on a site such as Shutterfly, how do you determine what size file/resolution/dimensions you upload so that various print sizes can be ordered?

Lisa

2. I just upload the full size jpg off my camera before and printed a 8x10, 5x7, and 4x6 and they all turn out great. I think they downscale it for you.

3. lisagott

lisagott

Apr 1, 2008
    OH
    Thanks!! I read that they suggest a "standard aspect ratio" of 1.33:1. If an 8X10 is 1.25:1 and a 4X6 is a 1.5:1 then that would be and 8X6 if I did the math correctly. Although Shutterfly does the cropping, if the ratio is way off, the subject matter could be cropped out too much. Any other suggestions from those that use these services?

Lisa

4. If your image is framed well for the full view, then I think cropping to 11 X 14 should work well, although you lose a little when cropping down to 8X10 but not much.

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yep,

I usually instruct most folks to not worry about upsizing and trying to fit print sizes. I tell them to crop to a ratio of their choosing and use 300 pixels per inch and let the lab take care of the larger prints. Advanced users, of course can do what they need to do.

I have seen to many folks crop for a size and then lower the pixels per inch to keep file sizes manageable and not get good results or they have their settings wrong in PS or some other program.

Cheers,

Wade