question re: website domain names...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Dec 20, 2005.

1. I know there are some brilliant website developers here and I hope that I can get some help with forwarding my domain name to Apples .Mac server.

Here is the problem;

I currently own a domain name of www.interactivephotos.com purchased from a company called Names4ever. They have forwarded it to a hosting company called Interland which is currently hosting my website. So if you type my domain name in now, you are directed to the Interland server. I have linked the Interland home page to the first page of the .Mac server website so that it looks like you are taken to .Mac. I don't want to pay for both website hosts and want to cancel my Interland server service that I pay monthly and use only the .Mac server.

I want to forward the domain name to the .Mac server which is also hosting a website for me (with the same photos). The .Mac server home page is "http://homepage.mac.com/interactivephotos/interactivephotos/". I would like to be able to open this page with my purchased domain name of www.interactivephotos.com.

If I point my domain to the .Mac home page of "http://homepage.mac.com/interactivephotos/interactivephotos/", will this become the index or home page when interactivephotos.com is used?

Also, currently in Aperture, I just drag photos into a webpage and push a button that says "publish to the internet". Will it somehow know that the new name is ...interactivephotos.com?

Thank you for your help.
    I must admit this is new to me and I am trying to learn more but it seems overwhelming sometimes.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Hi Paul,
    I appreciate the time and effort that went into your response and as I have said several times before, I sincerely appreciate it. I have done some research since my post here. I am currently paying a fee to Interland for hosting my website and to Names4us for hosting my domain name and to .Mac for the service they provide, one of which is server space for a website. Since the Interland and .Mac services are redundant, I have found out that I can simply have a forwarding service probided by Names4ever so that when someone types myh domain name interactivephotos.com it will be forwarded to the .Mac homepage. So While I can not change my domain name to the .Mac server as a homepage, I can make it appear to be the homepage. It's a bit like having your home phone number automatically transferred to your cell or work phone so that if someone calls you at home, it rings at your work or cell phone. This is the simple solution and it makes it possible to cancel the Interland service and monthly fee.

I hope that this information will be helpfull to someone else who is considering starting their own website.

Again, thank you very much for all you do and for this help specifically.

4. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    First thing I would do is transfer the name to GoDaddy.com, they give you total control over the DNS. Then you can use masking (free) to send people who type in your domain name to any folder on your .Mac account. You must take advantage of the masking or you will show the .Mac address. The best thing about GoDaddy.com is the prices. Only $7.95 per year for registration plus a .50ยข fee to ICANN.

Good Luck.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Dang Ron - them's good prices! I administer a couple of .mac hosted sites, and go through a route similar to that described by Paul. seems I'm charging about $35 too much. Gonna check out godaddy for sure. Any downsides you've noticed? I HATE dns outages.

6. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    GoDaddy is the way to go. Cheap and complete control. They also send you a reminder when your domain is about to expire.

KO

7. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL

None, the only thing you have to deal with is them trying to sell you many add-ons when you check out. For the low prices they offer, I can deal with that. I have never seen them with an outage. If you want some cheap hosting look at this ehostpros.com, good uptime and fast with lots of storage.

One more thing, you have total control so you can change the DNS servers if you move your site to a new hosting company.