Question regarding selling photos

My wife competes in different types of races from running to cycling and usually at these events there are photographers shooting each athlete as they go past. They then sell these photos online. This morning my wife bought a photo and simply downloaded the image from the sellers site. Not really the best photo and a very small resolution at a cost of $25.

That seemed pretty expensive and I was thinking I could do better for a lower price. Having been a building contractor I know all about having to charge the consumer enough to cover the costs of licensees, insurance, and bonding. I get that.

My question is what's involved with getting into the business of taking shots at events and selling them? Total n00b here and I'm not thinking this is a get rich quick idea or anything. I'm thinking more along the lines of having fun and maybe developing something I can do in my retirement. Plus I really enjoy these events as I used to be involved in bike racing.

Thanks

Most events you have to be the photographer. Be it the event like H2C or soccer clubs etc. I shoot for the guy who has the contract for the Lax league here, but use to shoot in Vancouver WA.. you guys have to apply and get the Contract.. even for schools. this does not exclude you shooting teams that sign up with you specifically.

Most events you have to be the photographer. Be it the event like H2C or soccer clubs etc. I shoot for the guy who has the contract for the Lax league here, but use to shoot in Vancouver WA.. you guys have to apply and get the Contract.. even for schools. this does not exclude you shooting teams that sign up with you specifically.

Thanks, I'll check with the race promoter and get more details.

Its pretty interesting ... If the events are taking place on public property (which most are when it comes to cyclling and the like) then you can take all the pictures to your hearts content.

If someone stops and asks for a card, you can certainly give them one and perhaps make a sale from that. You can even post those photos on the internet for sale if you like and if you have a good SEO or marketing strategy, you can make some nice money.

Now, some people consider that "poaching" or bad form since its not offically your event. But I'll leave that decision up to you. Most (not all, no flames please) of those companies out there are paying the least amount possible for the photographers that they use and rely on volume of sales instead of quality.

You'll also notice that they have their photographers positioned where they can shoot as many people as possible. So for example the 100 mile route of a cycling event normally doesn't have anyone on the parts of the route that ONLY the 100 milers are riding even though it might have the more challenging climbs that the riders would want photos of.

Gary

I'm a spec. event shooter. My Low Res files are $11.77 and crank out gorgeous 5 X 7 's
$25 is a rape. Go for it...on the better gigs I average $200/hr and don't ever touch a print.
There's $$ to be made, pick a spot...hand out cards...tell 'em you'll be at the next one...
word of mouth accounts for most of my 10,000 hits a month. Business is good. :wink:

PS. I'm in a poor State (NM) if you capture the action/emotion they'll find you AND they'll buy.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom